Are there any sane people left in softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No need to get into specifics, but how does softball rank in craziness compared to those other HS sports? Is there a sport crazier?

I have coached and been involved directly in a variety of sports in HS and/or college.

Softball is the least crazy. Not that it isn't crazy - just the least crazy.

Every boys sports is WAY more nuts. Those parents all think there is a $1,000,000,000 pay day for their little cupcake and for many, everyone else is conspiring against them to thwart it happening. Also in HS, college coaches and in soccer some pro coaches DO recruit football, soccer and basketball so they ARE there watching.

Ice Hockey was the worst. But the good news is you and the players can't hear most of the parents during the games because of the glass.

My order:
- Boys Ice Hockey (one night EIGHT parents are STANDING on the barriers so they can lean over the glass so they can be heard. Not my team thankfully, but if you want to identify a crazy at hockey this is a good sign)
- Boys Football (lots of fights, lots of coaches who think they are Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant, HS is where colleges DO recruit so they ARE there)
- Boys Soccer (lots of fights, lots of nationalities at war)
- Boys Basketball (oh boy)
- Boys Baseball (easiest access for crazy parent to communicate with whoever they want)
- Girls Basketball
- Softball (though my craziest story is a softball one)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have coached and been involved directly in a variety of sports in HS and/or college.

Softball is the least crazy. Not that it isn't crazy - just the least crazy.

Every boys sports is WAY more nuts. Those parents all think there is a $1,000,000,000 pay day for their little cupcake and for many, everyone else is conspiring against them to thwart it happening. Also in HS, college coaches and in soccer some pro coaches DO recruit football, soccer and basketball so they ARE there watching.

Ice Hockey was the worst. But the good news is you and the players can't hear most of the parents during the games because of the glass.

My order:
- Boys Ice Hockey (one night EIGHT parents are STANDING on the barriers so they can lean over the glass so they can be heard. Not my team thankfully, but if you want to identify a crazy at hockey this is a good sign)
- Boys Football (lots of fights, lots of coaches who think they are Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant, HS is where colleges DO recruit so they ARE there)
- Boys Soccer (lots of fights, lots of nationalities at war)
- Boys Basketball (oh boy)
- Boys Baseball (easiest access for crazy parent to communicate with whoever they want)
- Girls Basketball
- Softball (though my craziest story is a softball one)

Are you really going to leave us hanging like that?

Jun 12, 2015
Baseball has had less crazy than softball for us, but my DD plays rec baseball and doesn't care about it very much. I could see how it could get crazy though.

I'm hoping for a sane year this year. Miracles happen occasionally.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Are you really going to leave us hanging like that?

Ok... I have seen fights, police called, parents trying to run a coach down with their car in the parking lot, parents 'dating' the coach for playing time (yes really), some sort of carnival in the stands, an 'all nations war' soccer league, parents who have run 3x as far on the sideline as their kid in a game , teams that disbanded DURING the game and a couple of things that made the national news... but for whatever reason this is the one incident that always comes to mind first. I think because of the age of the girls, the semi-circle of parents behind the coaches and just everything about it.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coa...mbest-thing-parent-ever-said-2.html#post94629

Aug 16, 2015
The Crazy happens on every team. A disgruntled Bandit daddy orchestrated a mutiny at the PGF 12U nationals last week. Pulled his daughter and convinced 3 other players leave with him. So... NO team is immune from the crazy parent.

What happened?

Nov 29, 2009
What happened?

Two sets of former daddy ball coaches and parents whose DD's never had to compete for playing time. A Head Coach with no kids on the team. Playing the best 9 in bracket play. Well, you can figure it out from there.

From a poster on another site.

That's a big 'ol bowl of hillbillies you mixed up there. Shocked you had any problems. Those are parents that don't play well with others

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
We have a 12u team that goes into weekend tourneys with 4 pitchers. The coaches daughter pitches and gets 100% of the innings every game. She's not even better than the others. Daddy ball is the pits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi