Are One Day Camps Worth the $$$?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Has anyone attended these one day camps (up to 14 years old) where former softball Olympians "conduct" the practice(s). There is one coming to my area in December but wanted to get some feedback before spending the $100.

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Is it a full day clinic? How many girls are permitted to attend? How many "coaches" are assisting the Olympian(s) in "conducting" the clinic? What's on the agenda? Hitting, throwing, pitching, catching, position play?

Many of these types of clinics are simply cattle calls, but some can be good. You have to judge for yourself if the perceived value is worth the $100.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
Some of them are great, but how much can one actually learn in a 1 day camp? Keep in mind that when big names are used to market camps, you're paying the $100 for your DD to hang out with the Olympians. There's nothing wrong with this by the way, just make sure you're comfortable with that before you sign the check.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Maybe, it depends on how badly you are in need of decent instruction.

The problem with teaching anything, is that to break old habits and establish new ones doesnt happen in a few minutes of instruction, or even a few hrs of practice, it really takes at least several days of continuous reinforcement to make it actually start to take root.

What will a young girl get out of it by herself? Honestly, probably nothing. Except to hang out with some famous athletes.

But if Dad watches , takes notes, and understands and can work on drills and tips and mechanics with her more later, it might be beneficial, and fun for her.

Jul 11, 2009
I took my daughter to a hitting clinic 2 weeks ago put on by Crystal Bustos and the hitting coach she is currently working with. It was from 9 am to 4 pm with hour break for lunch. As far as I am concerned it was worth every penny of the $100. Crystal talked very well to the girls. She actually talked for about an hour and a half before they started drills. At first I thought it was too much talking but then I quickly realized that she was explaining everything they were going to work on and what the end result would or should be.She also talked some about life in general for girls and even explained that this is not the only way to hit, but it is a system that has worked very well for her (and who can argue with her results). As she said if someone trys to teach something and don't or can't explain why they do it a certain way then why listen to them. She explains everything. Then they do drills for the rest of the day. They even start out throwing because she explains how throwing is so similar to hitting and they show it. There was 12 stations with numerous local coaches helping out. Crystal and her hitting coach constantly roamed and helped out. She did not set off to the side and watch as I have heard some other big names do. My daughter even commented that for the number of girls there (34) she got a lot of one on one time with Crystal. Crystal even used my daughters bat for a demonstration and then autographed it afterward. My daughter is estatic.

SoCalSoftballDad,
I am pretty sure Crystal has a clinic coming up in California (I think I heard them mention this) so if she is the Olympian you are talking about I don't think you or your daughter will be disappointed. And if they have a coaches clinic the night before, I recommend going to that if you can, I could not and regret it after talking with coaches that did.

MudBug,
Very well said. All the stuff Crystal explained and showed is easily duplicated by dad's eager to help their daughter's. She even told the girls that if they had a $200 bat or $200 glove and did not put in the effort to practice and get better that they were disrespecting their parents who spent their hard earned money to buy that stuff. She recommended working on hitting a minimum of 5 times a week. So yeah I don't think she expected to break any bad habits in a day but she definitely gave them the knowledge and motivation to do it on their own.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter has been to a few of the one day camps at 2 different colleges both teams were in the college World Series Finals. I think it can be worth the money and time if you take advantage of what they offer. I take notes as she goes through the different portions of the camp and on the way home she makes a list of what she learned. Then we compare notes and I combine the notes to a training manual from the camp. Then through trial and error we test the things we were shown at the camp the things that work for her we work on and the things that don’t work for her we discard.

To be frank with you I attended a coaches camp at the University of Alabama because I wanted to improve my coaching skills for our ball team. At first I was not all that impressed with the hitting and was thinking it may be a waist of time. The when his players demonstrated hitting using what he (Patrick Murphy) was talking about it got my attention. The attention to detail makes a huge difference in hitting and I never realized this until I attended the camp.
:eek:

Jan 15, 2009
The other thing you can get out of one day camps (olympians aside) is a visit to a college campus and a chance to meet a college coach that might be on your DD's list of possibles.

It can be worth $100 to find out your daughter does not want to go somewhere, or to get some guaranteed face time with a coach that is on specific interest to her. Hoping that coach is at your particular showcase, watching your particular game, sees specifically your kid do something, always seemed like long odds to me. Better (and often cheaper) to go for direct contact.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
As Daddy O stated not all camps are equal. I have worked with CB for a few years in her clinics . Even as an instructor I have learned something new every time . I have been to many college camps. Some are worthless and just a way to get $$$ and could do you more harm than good. It is a way to get yourself in front of a college coach and a visit to the campus to see how they coach . CB runs her camps as a class room. We request kids and parents take notes. We keep groups small and anyone working with kids in a group are trained by her and her hitting coach. Most of us are coaches or instructors.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Here is exactly what is being offered:"Olympians Jessica Mendoza and Stacey Nuveman are returning to xxxxxx to host the Nuveman/Mendoza Clinic Experience on Saturday Dec 19th at xxxxx High School. Recommended for ages 13 and under, this clinic focuses on hitting, short game, defensive play/situations, catching, base running and much more!

Jessica and Stacey will also share stories and teach players the importance of education, leadership, confidence, positive body image and teamwork as well as address the issue of peer pressure."

My DD is only 7YO but I thought it might be a way for her to be exposed to "the big girls" who have played this game for a long time. The primary focus is for her to have fun and enjoy the clinic and maybe learn a few things. Great idea about taking notes, I might learn something too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877