Anyone still playing? Got shut down again here in So Cal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Just a few.

Your new team able to get a field permit?

Nope, there are no permits that I know of being issued in so cal. I know of a few private fields that are being utilized with permission. PGF is expected to cancel and upon the press release, we'll officially be done for the season.

May 29, 2015
My kid did not thrive with remote learning. That was mostly due to her own lack of effort, though. That said, she does better with a more hands-on learning experience.

I was talking with a parent on our 16U team this weekend. He has 2 daughters that will be in private HS next year. He's really struggling with justifying the amount of money he will be paying for 100% remote learning. I told him that he should save that money, and have his girls get 100% remote learning through the public HS. He knows my motivation is completely selfish. Our HS softball team could really use another good player next year (assuming we actually get to play).

There is absolutely some truth to this Eric. Some students are going to absolutely thrive because they work better at their own pace and are willing to put in the work. Others need the routine and environment of an online classroom.

I haven't been on much the last few weeks because teaching virtual summer school has been wiping me out. However, I saw it with our students -- some did well (even better than they normally do) and some struggled to even show up. (If you ever saw the old Mark Harmon movie Summer School ... I literally had the bathroom kid show up last week in the middle of a lesson. We hadn't seen him in almost a month.)

It's like the old coaching adage ... You can tell the kids who throw the glove/bat in the trunk of the car until next practice and you can tell the kids who go home and keep using it.

May 29, 2015
We live in West Virginia and the Governor has said he will not do anymore statewide shutdowns, but will do it by county. We just played this past weekend in one of the most affected areas, Morgantown, but that county and city may be shut down soon. So, as long as we are scheduled to play in areas that are not considered hotspots, I think youth sports will continue to be permitted in those areas where the virus is not as bad.
In Morgantown, the Health Department was requiring masks in all areas of parks where people would gather during games (restrooms, concession, etc) and asked everyone near the fields to practice social distancing; while people appeared to be social distancing to some extent, very few besides my family had masks on when required to do so and it was disheartening.

I understand the logic of doing it by county -- seems more responsive on a local level and offers more flexibility.

However, this is also a MAJOR issue that has made this worse. You shut down the large social event in one county/state/region, and they just move it over to the next one. Not only have you not cut off a vector, you actually increased it by making everybody more mobile.

Here is an interesting link that was shared with me yesterday. It calculates the chance that a Covid-19 carrier is at your event based on the number of people (you can change the slider) and local factors by county. https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.e...tAr7QrV6jqm1ngbep85lmrxQfPNgac8VaryqvzMknUca4

Jul 13, 2020
I mentioned earlier in this thread that all the tournament ma we have played have been full with a waiting list. I think it comes down to how the virus has effected you and the people you know. If you have know people or work close to people that have gotten very sick then you tend to think we should be restrictive. If everything negative about your coronavirus experience has come from the shutdown not the disease then you tend to think restrictions are overblown. In our area based on people I know and our situation this is the main sentiment. Still very few people that have been adversely effected by the disease itself and everyone has been hurt in some way by the restrictions.

Apr 28, 2014
Not trying to call you out @BT3100 , but I think this has also been a large part of the problem. We are dealing with an unknown virus, but people expect ALL the answers NOW.

Maybe the most egregious error in all of this was NOT framing it that way from the start. Instead, people (including elected officials) are not listening to experts who are working through the problem because their Twitter feed knows more than a trained life-long scholar and professional who is actually working through the matter. People have thrown the baby out with the bath water ... and surprise, it is not working.
I hear ya.
Dont feel bad disagreeing that's what where all here for. Learn from others.
Fact is no that one is an expert on Covid.
Problem is that many think they are. Hence a ton of misinformation and bad direction being provided by officals, some elected and others appointed.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Maybe ... but I don't recall anybody standing up saying I AM THE MAN, LISTEN TO ME!!!

Well, except some quacks that we all knew better than to listen to. I think it comes back to what we, as a society, have come to expect. We expect there always to be somebody telling us what to do. We have lost the ability to think critically, make RATIONAL decisions for ourselves, and thus we castigate anybody anytime they are wrong. That umpire really botched that rule, all umpires are now idiots. We don't go look up the rule, we don't think about how the umpire may have seen the play, and we certainly don't do a good job differentiating. He's just an idiot and umpires suck.

We think because we read something on social platforms it is good information. We think because somebody is being given a platform to speak, they must be right. When they aren't, well my box of crayons must be smarter than that guy! Never listen to him again! (Yet, our politicians are not held to this standard ...)

Perhaps our leading institutions and doctors should have done a better job framing things as "based on the knowledge we have now ..." That does not discredit anything they are saying now. That is no reason to b!+c# and complain that "my kid needs to play softball and I need a haircut, so screw everything." That obviously is not working.

I saw an article yesterday on a Mississippi TV station's site saying 31% of all COVID-19 tests performed on children in Florida were coming back positive. Kind of shoots a hole in the theory that kids are not vectors. https://www.wfla.com/community/heal...-in-florida-children-are-positive-data-shows/ (link from a FL station)
TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — More than 30% of coronavirus tests in Florida children have a positive result, data from the Florida Department of Health shows.

A report detailing pediatric cases of coronavirus in Florida shows more than 17,000 people under the age of 18 have been diagnosed with COVID-19. That includes 213 pediatric hospitalizations and four children who have died.

That doesn't mean I am sending my kid back out to live a normal life in a normal classroom just because the initial theory was wrong ... especially when it explicitly ups the ante.

OR ... maybe we have become a society of nihilists and I missed the memo.

1595015504279.png

PS -- thank for being gracious @BT3100 !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00