Anyone gearing up for HS Softball tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for answering but I think most of us think of tryouts with JV/V, more players than you can keep, and competition for spots. So I would have understood more if you were open about this originally. You can see how it looks cocky, and makes the coach look like he or she is making promises based on non-school play, which in my area would fill any AD's office with parents.

PS: I don't think the coaches should trash kids on the team to other parents, true or not, unless that is just your embellishment. Or promise positions unless they are empty, such as answering, "we sure could use a XX, so get to work."
Frankly, I don't much care if you think I sound cocky. Also, if I were trying to hide the fact that we will likely have only a Varsity, then a) I would not have stated that we were in a tiny Division IV school and b) I would not have stated it in my 2nd post.

I would like to see where I said our coach trashed players. I said that I saw the pitcher's performance myself. Believe it or not, I do know what I am looking at. I also didn't say the coach promised anything. Granted, the impression came from my own observations, coach's comments, and comments from other players. If I am wrong, and she doesn't pitch, you will be the first to know.

Apr 25, 2010
Sometimes teammates can make it hard on underclassmen that take starting spots from upperclassmen, regardless of obvious ability differences.

I absolutely agree with you. That being said, my DD is already friends with most of the team. One of the benefits of attending a high school with less than 400 kids.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We just had a foot of snow melt in the recent warm-up and we're not back to winter conditions - high 20'slow 30's during the day, high teens at night. As someone else said, basketball season just began last week.

Here official practices can't begin until the 1 st Friday in March, though captains practices are scheduled for late Sunday afternoons beginning after the new year. The team has a Spring Training week inFlorida the end of March before the season officially begins on 4/1. At DD's school, in the years they have better participation, there is a JV team. Last year, with only 16 they only had varsity.

DD is a junior & has pitched V since she was a fresh. She also plays 18u club ball. She enjoys playing softball for her school & is proud of the progress the team has made since she began 2+ years ago.

She'll see these team mates forever at high school reunion, not so with her club ball team mates. Different perspective, different reward.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
I wish we played in the fall. Much better weather. Our girls sometimes play in the snow here, just to get the games in!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Here in Indiana, we won't play until spring. However, we are ALWAYS gearing up. We practice batting in our basement twice a week and will practice pitching full motion twice a week and IR drills for about 15 min every day. Spent an hour with Bill Hillhouse last weekend in Cincy. Hope dd makes varsity full time this year (sophomore) last year she was jv with a hand full of at bats on varsity.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
We have put together a team to play in the dome this winter. It starts in 3 weeks. The team is not associated with the school do to rules from the state association. We have a cage in a garage I have access to from work and hit and pitch on weekends in the winter as well.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The team is not associated with the school do to rules from the state association. We have a cage in a garage I have access to from work and hit and pitch on weekends in the winter as well.
This is legal as long as you don't work with more than five girls from the same High School during the school year. If you exceed the five player rule, those girls will be deemed athletically ineligible for all sports the entire year and the program will be forced to forfeit a percentage of games played.

Jul 2, 2013
Suckers! We play in the Fall and done with it forever!! lol

So sorry for you !!!

Spring High School softball is the absolute best. Teams play for their community, and if successful, make it on the national stage, Spring softball mimics the college softball game, has the press behind them 100%. What is accomplished in high school (especially spring) MATTERS.

The players play for rings, headlines, and if you are good (or lucky), a trip to the Statehouse, or a proclamation by state government. they play for GLORY, and pride for the folks they grew up with.

I am a high school softball fanatic. We are getting prepared. The parents and players are starting to get really excited. WOW ... it will be a blast. Parents are taking fellow players out to the cage. College coaches are visiting as advisers. The "buzz" is accelerating ... so much different ... and so much better than what travel folks can even think about, much less understand, farther yet to glorify.

The next 5 months is what I live for.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
So sorry for you !!!

Spring High School softball is the absolute best. Teams play for their community, and if successful, make it on the national stage, Spring softball mimics the college softball game, has the press behind them 100%. What is accomplished in high school (especially spring) MATTERS.

The players play for rings, headlines, and if you are good (or lucky), a trip to the Statehouse, or a proclamation by state government. they play for GLORY, and pride for the folks they grew up with.

I am a high school softball fanatic. We are getting prepared. The parents and players are starting to get really excited. WOW ... it will be a blast. Parents are taking fellow players out to the cage. College coaches are visiting as advisers. The "buzz" is accelerating ... so much different ... and so much better than what travel folks can even think about, much less understand, farther yet to glorify.

The next 5 months is what I live for.

A lot of what you say rings true for our area too. Two HS with softball. One 4A and the other 2B. Sometimes they get the opportunity to play each other in a jamboree. Cross town rivals! This will be DD's first year in HS. Should be playing JV, but we'll see. The chance to play in HS ( in the 4A school ) is very competitive. Highly skilled girls in our area, so it's tough to get on a roster if you haven't played travel. They will cut girls.

I'm always looking forward to the paper articles and I'm sure the girls are too. The local paper does a great job of covering all sports especially softball. Recently, the 4A school has been to state twice with a championship ring one of the those two. Something I don't think folks pay much attention to is that just about every year there is at least one girl going on to college to play more softball. For a town of 30,000 not too bad.

I remember last year at the batting cages the HS girls getting excited that it was almost time for softball to begin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish