Anyone from Colorado

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Hi Everyone,

There is a remarkable thing happening in Colorado Softball. Pitching has become an endangered species. Teams all over our city are folding because of pitchers changing teams, playing up, etc. It is an epidemic when some of the most established organizations are losing teams. This is happening from 14u up to 18u. Two teams just folded that lost their #1 pitcher and it is just shocking to me.

Is it because fewer and fewer are willing to do the work and spend the money in order for their DD to pitch? Lots of kids want to pitch but very few are able to be competitive over the long term.

Is this happening in your state? Anyone from Colorado here on the forum?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hi Everyone,

There is a remarkable thing happening in Colorado Softball. Pitching has become an endangered species. Teams all over our city are folding because of pitchers changing teams, playing up, etc. It is an epidemic when some of the most established organizations are losing teams. This is happening from 14u up to 18u. Two teams just folded that lost their #1 pitcher and it is just shocking to me.

Is it because fewer and fewer are willing to do the work and spend the money in order for their DD to pitch? Lots of kids want to pitch but very few are able to be competitive over the long term.

Is this happening in your state? Anyone from Colorado here on the forum?

I would expand to say that traits such as hard work, commitment, and certainly accountability have become more scarce over the years. but to your point, pitching is simply too much work for many since it requires year round commitment to be highly successful.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would expand to say that traits such as hard work, commitment, and certainly accountability have become more scarce over the years. but to your point, pitching is simply too much work for many since it requires year round commitment to be highly successful.

There are more and more recreational things for these kids to do in their spare time, like whatever it is they do as they walk around like zombies buried in their smartphones. It goes to show you that those who commit and spend the time necessary now days are experiencing the development of character through their hard work, something that seems to becoming scarcer today.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Ha ha - yep, I'm from Colorado :) I was born in Indiana. I've seen plenty of very, very good pitching in Colorado. I've noticed that each good team has at least one good pitcher. Likewise, any good pitcher can find a team with a strong defense and good coaching.

Being competitive over a long period of time seems to require a good work ethic, the right mental attitude, some natural-given talent and body type, and of course the good luck to avoid serious injuries.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Used to live and coach in Highlands Ranch. If you can pitch in Colorado you can pitch anywhere.

Yeah, there are a lot of home runs hit out here. I had never really noticed it particularly until DD's team played a tournament at sea level this summer. Our girls hit many fence shots which would have been out here in Colorado. It was a weird feeling seeing a ball get hit and thinking "it's out" and then the ball dies at the fence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi