Anyone ever face this quandry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
I just believe the athlete has the responsibility to handle
Those issues till they can’t be handled. You won’t be there in college. HS coaches are not going to want To hear it. If they don’t learn early it will be a problem. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed overall, but being in 8th grade, we are not there yet Doc. Another year or so and we will be. Just not now.

Oct 4, 2018
1st year of MS DD pitched in all the practices and games. She hardly pitched at all before school and her arm was ready to fall off.

I gave her a choice, you talk to your coach or I will.

She knew there was a chance I would cause more harm then good so she talked to coach and they slowed her down. By the way we all liked the coaches.

I would do something similar. Ask your DD to talk to coach and only become involved if you need to, she is old enough.

(One of DD's lines which I liked was, what happens when you bat? Well Sally pitches I do not get anything to hit. :))

Yup.

Have your daughter tell coach that after 5 or 6 batters she feels tired and that she's not pitching correctly. If she was sore the next day, have her tell the coach that.

If that doesn't change anything, have her keep a rough pitch count in her head and when she hits it have her pitch badly and coach will finally get it. ;)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Interesting. I've always looked at the parent and coach as a team. A partnership. Parent and coach both striving towards the same goal. Development of the player. Name me another circumstance where two people are striving towards the same goal but have zero collaboration and I will show you a failed attempt to reach that goal. There has to be communication between the 2 parties if the goal is to be reached.

The player and the coach are the team. The parent is an advocate for the player. Players should
Always be the first to discuss an issue with the coach. Parents only after there has not been a satisfactory solution.

Oct 4, 2018
The links above establish a pitch count for 8-10YO of 50 per game, or 80 total if pitching 2 consectutive days. 10-12YO the count goes up to 65/game, or 95 over 2 days. These limits seem to slighly contradict the experience of many on this board that pitching requires nearly daily practice. How many pitches are typically thrown in a 10U game, or the typical bucket session with dad in the backyard?

Yeah, I'll admit we go over those guidelines.

10U travel team, mid-level. We play on Saturdays (and ask the girls to take Fridays and Sundays off) and usually play 5 games or so, 3-4 innings each, and average about 20 pitches per inning. That comes to 5 x 3.5 x 20 = 350 pitches.

Let's just say that we don't have 7 pitchers to split that up amongst. We go way over. :(

Oct 4, 2018
She was working on things. The coach was calling pitches. I don't mind the live pitching aspect at all and actually think it was beneficial.............................up to the 40 pitch mark. lol
This is a large nationally known organization with paid coaches, roving instructors, etc.... Not able to step in as an assistant.

Coach is calling the game, meaning balls/strikes (as an ump) or calling the pitches?

On the rare times we set up a girl to pitch, we don't monitor that station too much. We ask them to treat it like a game, having catcher set up on corners and pitcher try to get them out. But we coaches are usually busy on other stations and only step in when they're goofing off (10U) or need something.

Jun 12, 2015
I throw BP.... If my pitchers are throwing live to batters, they're working on spins, spots, and mixing speeds.... Sounds like a good opportunity for you to become an asst coach

We don't mind our DD throwing BP, but she's not going to give them something to hit on purpose. The pitchers on the other teams will be doing their best to strike them out, so that's the goal in BP too. Then it benefits everyone more IMO. The pitcher gets to practice against hitters, and the hitters will see pitching closer to what they'll face in games. If it's just down the middle hitting reps a coach can handle that.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The links above establish a pitch count for 8-10YO of 50 per game, or 80 total if pitching 2 consectutive days. 10-12YO the count goes up to 65/game, or 95 over 2 days. These limits seem to slighly contradict the experience of many on this board that pitching requires nearly daily practice. How many pitches are typically thrown in a 10U game, or the typical bucket session with dad in the backyard?

this is a problem.

There are differences between practicing and game pitching.

During practices, the pitcher is focused on working on specifics...FSR, control, breaking pitches. She is rarely throws "full out" for the entire practice. The usual situation is the kid slows down to work on her mechanics, and then ends the practice with speed work. So,the kid probably throws less than 25 pitches at maximum effort. During a game, the pitcher throws at 100% effort for the entire game.

In most games, the pitcher does a full practice before the game and then pitches. So, if a kid throws 100 pitches during a game, she probably throws 200 pitches total (practice + game combined).

Mar 28, 2014
The player and the coach are the team. The parent is an advocate for the player. Players should
Always be the first to discuss an issue with the coach. Parents only after there has not been a satisfactory solution.

Even if the DD is only in the 8th grade and has only 3 practices with this new coach? I don't see her as being equipped to handle it correctly given the combination of her maturity level and the newness of the player/coach relationship. I might feel different if she had played for this coach for a while and felt comfortable in approaching a touchy subject like this where basically, you are telling the coach that she screwed up! LOL. Telling an adult authority figure that they screwed up is not an easy task for a lot of young girls. As we all know, these girls mature at different rates. What one 8th grader can handle socially, another may be like a duck out of water trying to handle, so a one size fits all approach is not applicable IMO.

Mar 28, 2014
this is a problem.

There are differences between practicing and game pitching.

During practices, the pitcher is focused on working on specifics...FSR, control, breaking pitches. She is rarely throws "full out" for the entire practice. The usual situation is the kid slows down to work on her mechanics, and then ends the practice with speed work. So,the kid probably throws less than 25 pitches at maximum effort. During a game, the pitcher throws at 100% effort for the entire game.

In most games, the pitcher does a full practice before the game and then pitches. So, if a kid throws 100 pitches during a game, she probably throws 200 pitches total (practice + game combined).

Very good point. Most don't consider the number of pitches thrown in bullpen. They count too.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We must have different definitions of what "BP" is.....
BP is BATTING PRACTICE.... not pitch calling or game scenarios
Here is another example of a BIG NAME org with less than average coaches

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles