Anyone ever face this quandry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
IMHO, as a former Coach of Many years, I never wanted a parent to discuss a players issues with me. Especially things like playing time. I understand this is different. But, all the same, have your daughter talk to her. Ask her what she should do next time she does batting practice and her arm starts to tire and or hurt. See what she says and how she handles it. If she says something that you completely disagree with and may cause injury then get involved. At that point it won’t matter if you DD plays for an ingnorant coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
As a pitcher's parent I'm going to speak up if a coach is doing something that might cause injury. That's really not ok.

Feb 17, 2014
I can't think of any situation where your DD's health isn't #1 priority. If the coach can't handle that, then find a coach that can.

Your approach is good.

Mar 28, 2014
IMHO, as a former Coach of Many years, I never wanted a parent to discuss a players issues with me. Especially things like playing time. I understand this is different. But, all the same, have your daughter talk to her. Ask her what she should do next time she does batting practice and her arm starts to tire and or hurt. See what she says and how she handles it. If she says something that you completely disagree with and may cause injury then get involved. At that point it won’t matter if you DD plays for an ingnorant coach.

Interesting. I've always looked at the parent and coach as a team. A partnership. Parent and coach both striving towards the same goal. Development of the player. Name me another circumstance where two people are striving towards the same goal but have zero collaboration and I will show you a failed attempt to reach that goal. There has to be communication between the 2 parties if the goal is to be reached.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I throw BP.... If my pitchers are throwing live to batters, they're working on spins, spots, and mixing speeds.... Sounds like a good opportunity for you to become an asst coach

Nov 8, 2018
Interesting. I've always looked at the parent and coach as a team. A partnership. Parent and coach both striving towards the same goal. Development of the player. Name me another circumstance where two people are striving towards the same goal but have zero collaboration and I will show you a failed attempt to reach that goal. There has to be communication between the 2 parties if the goal is to be reached.

I just believe the athlete has the responsibility to handle
Those issues till they can’t be handled. You won’t be there in college. HS coaches are not going to want To hear it. If they don’t learn early it will be a problem. JMO.

Nov 18, 2015
Health issues need to be addressed by the parent. It is one thing when discussing serious injury...it is another when discussing position in the batting order.

The coach is not up on the current science about overuse injuries in softball pitching. Approach the discussion with the coach as educational. Print out a copy of the guidelines for you and him, and then use that as a basis for discussion.

Here is a guideline sheet from the American Orthopedic Society to help you: https://www.sportsmed.org//aossmimis/stop/downloads/Softball.pdf

Here is the web page: https://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/Softball_Injury_Prevention.aspx

The links above establish a pitch count for 8-10YO of 50 per game, or 80 total if pitching 2 consectutive days. 10-12YO the count goes up to 65/game, or 95 over 2 days. These limits seem to slighly contradict the experience of many on this board that pitching requires nearly daily practice. How many pitches are typically thrown in a 10U game, or the typical bucket session with dad in the backyard?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The links above establish a pitch count for 8-10YO of 50 per game, or 80 total if pitching 2 consectutive days. 10-12YO the count goes up to 65/game, or 95 over 2 days. These limits seem to slighly contradict the experience of many on this board that pitching requires nearly daily practice. How many pitches are typically thrown in a 10U game, or the typical bucket session with dad in the backyard?

It is a guideline, a starting point. You need to work out the actual limits with your DD and they will change over time. But you need to be the one who enforces those limits. Pulled my DD out of circle in the middle of a HS game when the coach did not take those limits seriously. When you are throwing in the back yard you need to remember to work a a game pace and it is all about quality not quantity. When the mechanics break down you need to take a break or call it a day. Simulate a game like tempo and throw both long and short innings with a break between inning. Train like you will play. This is why it is great to have two pitchers in a bullpen session.

Start charting her pitches. Do not worry about what was thrown or location, just balls and strikes and number of pitches. That will tell you if she is working ahead or digging herself a hole. Keep in mind that total pitch counts can be affected by long innings. It is much easier to throw 7 innings with 10 pitches each inning (70 pitches), than 2 innings with 35 pitches (70 pitches). Like the great Harry Callahan said: "A man's got to know his limitations".

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
I throw BP.... If my pitchers are throwing live to batters, they're working on spins, spots, and mixing speeds.... Sounds like a good opportunity for you to become an asst coach

She was working on things. The coach was calling pitches. I don't mind the live pitching aspect at all and actually think it was beneficial.............................up to the 40 pitch mark. lol
This is a large nationally known organization with paid coaches, roving instructors, etc.... Not able to step in as an assistant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles