Any Stregth and Conditioning Ideas During The Offseason For 12u Player??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2011
AL
I'm looking for ideas/recommendations on strength/conditioning for my DD during these 3 months of offseason. She is a 2000 (12u), very solid 5'2, 125 lbs. Positions are pitcher, 3rd base and outfield. She also hits for power. We of course will continue to work on pitching and will hit the batting cages but does anyone have any workout recommendations??

Apr 1, 2010
I had bought some kettlebells and a kettlebell workout dvd for myself. My 2000 DD saw me struggling through the workout and said, "Hey, I can do that." So she grabbed a bell and started doing it along with me. I think it's a pretty good workout for her.

--There's this thing called a Russian Twist where you sit in a crunch position with your feet and shoulders raised off the floor and move the weight from side to side. I can only do a couple of the reps 'cause it absolutely kills my abs, but she just laughs at me and chugs away along with the instructor. :)

I'm also planning to put her into a program at a local gym where they do a lot of wind sprints, etc. over the winter.

Oct 25, 2009
I'm at a Barnes & Noble at the moment so I could only view part of the Auburn video because of wifi speed. I'll view it at home; it looks great so far.

There was a thread similar to this recently. I suggest:

Jump ropes, various routines, not just straight jumping; agility ladders; planks (very important); body-weight squats; lunges; burpees.

Hitting long tees is not only beneficial for hitting, it is a very good core workout. Hit towards a 200' or so fence, minimum 4 buckets of balls per workout. After all the balls have been hit, sprint to the balls that have been hit outfield and throw them in to 2nd base as if a runner is advancing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We have been researching for a few weeks on good workouts for our almost 12 yr old and 9 yr old. A couple things I have learned is they are too young to lift heavy weights and too young to lift to failure, simply because they will lose needed flexibility. What the girls have been doing the last few weeks are push ups, squats, military presses, and curls with rubber tubes every other morning. Russian twists with a medicine ball, crunches, front and side planks on the opposite mornings. The lifting mornings we have jogged 1-2 miles and on abs morning we do killers (the sprints where you touch free throw line and back, half court and back and etc.). Almost every afternoon they are throwing the medicine ball in different ways. It is and 8 pound rubber ball the can bounce. About once a week dw takes them to the pool for laps. All the girls in the fam can swim over a 1000 meters a session, all the boys would drown if they had to swim more then down and back.

We/ they have been at it two weeks now and it has been great bonding with the whole family. They are taking pride in themselves about getting up by 6:00 to do this. One last thing I think important for everyone is to keep it short. Jog and lift mornings take about 45 minutes and sprint and abs morning take about 30 minutes.

Our favorite site for softball workout videos is www.stacktv.stack.com

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
AL
Awesome ideas guys!! Thank you!! DD and I watched some of the Auburn videos and really liked what we saw ( even though we're Alabama fans) lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes