Any rules about coaches yelling during pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unfortunately not. They can get in trouble for verbally distracting the fielders and draw an interference call against them, but not for yelling during the pitch.

Sounds rather bush league, but not much you can do about it.

As my DD team has progressed through the years and moved up in age group and in level of play, it has been fun to watch how the older, higher level teams have an "act like we have been here before" attitude from the players, parents and coaches....

Mar 2, 2013
I'd tell the coach that regardless of his intent, he is acting in a manner than can be interpreted as attempting to influence my calls. I would tell him to coach his team, encourage his team but stop screaming right before I am required to make a call.

If he was a real PITA and said, "Show me in the book where it says I can't do that," I would reverse it and tell him, "You've got it backwards. You show me where it says you can. And you can go research the topic in the parking lot if I hear it again."

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Maybe this guy isn't trying to do anything nefarious. When the ball leaves the hand of either my 9YO or 11YO daughters I usually know whether its a good or bad pitch and I'm sure the words "great pitch" have come out of my mouth more than a few times before the ball reached the batter.

Just giving the benefit of the doubt. BTW, I sit in the dugout on my bucket not on the field.

Feb 3, 2011
In rec ball at the younger ages, I often see coaches sitting on buckets outside the dugout. When they play tournaments, though, they learn that they've got to be completely inside the dugout or elsewhere out of play. Some of the newer coaches may not have that in mind when 1st transitioning into TB, and you'll sometimes see them start off where they aren't supposed to be. It only takes a few seconds for the umpires to have them re-positioned when they notice it.

There are coaches who will yell at or in the direction of opposing pitchers, fielders, or batters, but it always looks odd and strangely inappropriate when they do it, regardless of whether it's effective. Nevertheless, undesired noises are as much a part of the game as desired ones, so ultimately, players have to learn how to play through any types of distractions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes