Any rules about coaches yelling during pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I was watching an older team play after finishing our game. The head coach was sitting on a bucket next to the on deck circle. His team was on the field. Every time his pitcher pitched what looked to be a good pitch from his angle, he would yell "Great Pitch" right before it crossed the plate. Now I realize that this could possibly help the batter but It looked more like it was distracting. It really got on my nerves and I felt it was out of line coming from a coach. Is there any written or un-written rules about coaches yelling stuff just before a ball reaches the batter?

Jun 22, 2008
There are rules about defensive coaches outside the dugout and a bucket is not part of the game and should not be on the field.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
The best way to shut them up is to hit the crap out of the ball. I take it you lost? Typically those that complain about it are the ones who didn't come out on top

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Unfortunately not. They can get in trouble for verbally distracting the fielders and draw an interference call against them, but not for yelling during the pitch.

Sounds rather bush league, but not much you can do about it.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I don't think you can do much about what he says and when he says it; after all, teams cheer all the time (non-stop) during the opposing pitchers delivery, etc. But you can do something about him sitting on a bucket outside of the dugout...if you desire as sometimes you have to watch what you wish.

Nonetheless you could....Place 2 or 3 buckets outside and in front of your dugout (spreadout a little) before the game for the umpire to see and notice. During his pregame inspection he will tell you to put them in the dugout as they are in the field of play, safety hazard, etc. You oblige. When you see the other coach put his bucket down to sit, you remind the umpire about the DB Rule (See RichK Above) and that you were told no buckets outside the dugout.

Secondly you could simply say you feel he is in danger of getting hit by a bat that slips out of the batters hands...and kindly request he move...(per DB Rule)

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Coach Kevin, I was just a spectator for this game. We had already played and I hung around to watch this game (14u) and the 12u which followed it.
Thank you everyone, I did not think there was a rule that covered that but figured I would double check. Yeah I though it showed poor judgement. If it purpose was to praise his pitcher he could have easily waited for the ball to reach the catcher.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I was watching an older team play after finishing our game. The head coach was sitting on a bucket next to the on deck circle.

To start, the coach and his bucket need to be in DBT. And there is really no discussion about that part.

His team was on the field. Every time his pitcher pitched what looked to be a good pitch from his angle, he would yell "Great Pitch" right before it crossed the plate. Now I realize that this could possibly help the batter but It looked more like it was distracting. It really got on my nerves and I felt it was out of line coming from a coach. Is there any written or un-written rules about coaches yelling stuff just before a ball reaches the batter?

Just out of curiosity, how could this help or distract a batter in what is most likely less than a 10th of a second? The batter isn't going to hear it before the ball is in the catcher's glove assuming she doesn't hit it.

This guy probably thinks he is getting away with something, and the opponents probably complain about it, but it is nothing more than a head game that has little, if any actual physical affect on the batter's performance. Then again, why is the batter hearing anything other than herself when waiting on a pitch?

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I had an Asst. coach yell out encouragement in the middle of the pitching motion of our players last year. I mentioned that it might be a distraction and his response was, are you kidding me. Some coaches just have to endlessly keep talking during games.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I had an Asst. coach yell out encouragement in the middle of the pitching motion of our players last year. I mentioned that it might be a distraction and his response was, are you kidding me. Some coaches just have to endlessly keep talking during games.

And the parents and players screaming cannot be a distraction?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes