Any advice if the new team is not what you thought it was going to be

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2010
We recently moved from large city, to a small rural area, daughters had to switch team (10U Travel Ball). The new team is that in fact a new team, the new town has never had anything like TB or Select until this current group, so like most start ups its a group of daddy ball. My daughters getting on to this team were actually cause enough for the parents to call a Team meeeting to discuss whether or not our daughters had made the team cause they didnt believe we lived in area and that their daughters werent going to get playing time (actually had to show three forms of living in the county)....

Jun 16, 2010
Having resided for a several years in a small town where I was not originally from, for work, I can offer my experience.

You are an outsider there. You will always be an outsider there. If you did not grow up there, and go to at least high school there with other locals, you are an outsider.

You may be treated great, you may make friends, but you will never be considered a local and let inside the true "inner circle" of local associations, groups, etc. However, your kids may or may not be though, depends on their ages , and how long they go to school there. Its just how these things work in small communities where everyone knows each other. They are tightly knit.

So, dont rock the boat too much. The deck is already stacked against you. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Help them to have the most competitive team they can if they need help, etc. If you choose to go elsewhere, you lose. If you rock the boat, you lose.

Sep 10, 2010
Thats the bad thing I am from here moved away for college and career, decided to come back for that tight rural community feeling, only a couple of the parents are originally from here, and the ones acting snoody arent from here originally...thats the ironic part....it gets worse outfield coach has daughter in left that lets just say needs work, we do have better outfielders, but since he sponsors and coaches his daughter starts, fine by me my daughters both play infield...not wanting to rock boat and i love the idea that this team will grow up together...but wow, not use to being the odd one.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think you are over-reacting--I lived in Chicagoland, in a suburb with more than 100,000 people, and the same stuff went on. The major difference is that you can't replace Suzy Snotnose because there likely isn't anyone else available.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
We live in a small community too. We chose to make the drive in (45 mins. each way) to the big city. Not because we didn't "fit in" but because we thought it was worth it in order to get better coaching and more competition.

Feb 24, 2010
Give them a chance for the first year, since they are new to travel ball. Maybe they don't know that this isn't rec league all stars. Do they know that your DD's played travel ball in the past? Once they see the competition level they may be more willing to not only get over the daddy ball mentality, but you may be asked to help out more, maybe even coach the team. Once the other parents learn that there was more to the game than just their DD getting a hit and playing her favorite position they may be less likely to act this way towards you. It has been my experience that rec league players parents' are clueless when it comes to the rules, ability and time commitment outside of team practice necessary to play travel ball. When the parents show this lack of knowledge, then you may have an easier dealing with your new team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Just keep practicing with your own girls. I bought a pitching machine and threw mine fly ball after fly ball. Smile at the other parents. I would be tempted to rub it in that I was from there. :) "Where are you living? Oh, that's the old Cutler place. I was there many times in HS. I hope you like living here."

Try to stay out of the fray and don't talk about it in front of the girls.

Maybe you could hold a clinic or bring someone in for a weekend.

Jun 16, 2010
Thats the bad thing I am from here moved away for college and career, decided to come back for that tight rural community feeling, only a couple of the parents are originally from here, and the ones acting snoody arent from here originally...thats the ironic part....it gets worse outfield coach has daughter in left that lets just say needs work, we do have better outfielders, but since he sponsors and coaches his daughter starts, fine by me my daughters both play infield...not wanting to rock boat and i love the idea that this team will grow up together...but wow, not use to being the odd one.

Well then forget I said anything.

But still, try to be part of the solution. Show them the light. They need to know its not rec ball if they want any success. Maybe a good way to start is entering a tournament against good teams and getting their butts kicked, show how bad some girls are. Nothing like humility to start you on the right foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55