Any advice for a new catcher 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My DD will put on the gear for the first time Sunday at practice. Our 3rd catcher left the team and the first two split time at C and 3B. They want to try her due to her quickness and attitude. Any tips to help a first time 10u catcher? Any advice for a lefty? Thanks.

May 1, 2011
Can't help you on the LEFT part, but...

Make sure she understands (and you need to understand this too) that this is the most (IMO) PHYSICALLY DEMANDING position on the field.

Make sure she stays hydrated.

Bruises are a badge of honor, so wear them proudly.

I mentioned physically demanding...but...I neglected to also mention that the girl with the gear on also has to know everything that HAS to happen, on every play, in every situation, no matter where the ball goes after it leaves the pitchers hand. Yeah, so there's that whole MENTAL thing too.

More than anything though...make sure she's having fun with it. Once she gets the gear on, grab a bat and smack her where all the padding is (resist the temptation to give her a stern thwomp for not cleaning her room earlier). DD and I have a thing before every game where I hit her on both shins, then the chest protector, and then the crown of the helmet. It's kind of like our own little Knighting Ceremony before she gets on the dirt. Always puts a smile on her face.

If she's got a great attitude like you said, I'm sure she'll be a natural...now about that LEFTY THING....

Josh

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Protect her throwing hand (thumb inside fist) behind the back or outside the knee, don't turn your head (less protection when turned), watch and wait for the pitch (and forget about the bat), and have fun!

Apr 1, 2010
I second the New England Catching Camp DVD. There's so much great information on there!

Ball up socks and throw them at her for blocking practice. It's something you can do at home in your spare time. Blocking has to happen so quickly, it really depends upon muscle memory. Practicing it for 5 minutes at practice twice a week isn't enough (if she even gets that much); she'll need you to help her practice it over and over so that it becomes automatic.

Also at home, you can throw tennis balls to her bare hand for her to practice receiving. The DVD will show you what position her hand should be in to catch the ball depending on pitch location.

I don't throw well enough myself, but if you do, you can go out with her and long toss. It will be great for her arm.

When the weather's nice, DD and I go over to a field and I set an orange cone at the first base side of second base. She tries to hit it with her throwdowns. It seems to make it more fun when she's trying to knock the cone over.

Forgot to mention and it's really important--watch the DVD and make notes on how she should be set up in her stance. Then as you are practicing with her, make sure she's doing it correctly. It's not natural-feeling and she may be really resistant, but she'll be better off in the long run.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In addition what the others have said, stay tight to the batter. She has enough equipment on that she is not going to get hurt. Lefty catchers are very desirable, one of the few positions that a lefty has an advantage in the field.

Feb 3, 2011
NECC has a great DVD with a ton of information, but don't try to consume it all in one sitting.

Protect the throwing hand.

Just because you won't have much success throwing runners out at 2B doesn't mean you can't pick them off like low-hanging fruit at 1B or 3B.

Be vocal and make sure everyone on the field knows you're in charge out there.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
^^^ All good stuff. NECC made all the difference for my kid being happy and successful.

If she has a hard time being vocal, remind her that she's not telling them what to do, she's telling them what she sees. Some don't like to be bossy, but everyone wants to be helpful.

A lefty has a big advantage in bunt coverage, it may be something she can shine at while the other skills are coming along.

Learning to recognize blocking opportunities can be a long frustrating process, you have to be the relentless voice of optimism until it clicks.....even if it kills you.

Mar 18, 2013
Agreed....the NECC video's were the best investment we made for my daughters development and learning the right way to play the position. Just about every action as a catcher is covered in those videos.
Also, something we did that helped was we got with the best 18u/18Gold catcher in our organization/area and asked if she wanted to make a little money on the side. She worked once a week with my daughter-sort of the big sister little sister bond and that really helped her develop her game. There were times the 18 Gold catcher would also be playing at our tournament and she come watch our daughter play, between her games and vice versa, and then talk to her between innings and work on things during their lessons that she saw from game play, it worked really well.

Jul 9, 2012
In addition what the others have said, stay tight to the batter. She has enough equipment on that she is not going to get hurt. Lefty catchers are very desirable, one of the few positions that a lefty has an advantage in the field.

I am going to preface this with the comment that I don't have anything against lefty catchers. I have had them on my teams in the past. But the comment that a lefty has an advantage and is more desired at catcher than a righty, has me intrigued. Why would one be more desirable at catcher than the other? Both have their pros and cons.

Last comment for the OP, catchers, especially at the younger age groups, that can block well are rare. Think about a young pitcher that is usually a little wild. Keeping balls from going to the backstop saves more runs than stopping a runner stealing second. NECC is the gold standard in technique. We teach ours in order of priority the skills of receiving, blocking, pass ball handling, bunt coverage, then throw down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00