Any advice for a new catcher 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Remind her that the home plate points to the catcher because it is the most important position on the field :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I am going to preface this with the comment that I don't have anything against lefty catchers. I have had them on my teams in the past. But the comment that a lefty has an advantage and is more desired at catcher than a righty, has me intrigued. Why would one be more desirable at catcher than the other? Both have their pros and cons.

Last comment for the OP, catchers, especially at the younger age groups, that can block well are rare. Think about a young pitcher that is usually a little wild. Keeping balls from going to the backstop saves more runs than stopping a runner stealing second. NECC is the gold standard in technique. We teach ours in order of priority the skills of receiving, blocking, pass ball handling, bunt coverage, then throw down.

Lefty's big advantage is on bunts - they can be quicker and more direct on throws to 1B because they don't have to run a banana route (or turn) to throw there like a R(ighty) thrower does (2B is same for R and L, 3B advant goes to R but is the least frequent throw) And FWIW, I would move bunt coverage and throw downs up one spot in your priority list - after all, if they get proficient at blocking, wild pitch handling (lol) becomes an infrequent opportunity.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Forgot to add, speed and attitiude can't be taught, most other things can, let that be her foundation for growth. Not everyone is cut out to be a catcher, suiting up, like the bruises, is a badge of honour. Also, get her a good mitt and teach her how to properly recieve a pitch. If it hurts, they won't want to catch for too long. Also, get her close to the pitchers to build a relationship

Dec 18, 2012
Sorry in advance for long post but this one is dear to my heart! My daughter is a 10U catcher and I also wasn't sure what to do when she first started catching. I would totally second the advice posted here to get the NEEC DVD. We actually do private lessons every so often but I find that 90% of what she learns in those lessons is covered in that DVD. I love that the DVD focuses on receiving and blocking…all of the glory she receives is for her throwing runners out stealing but in reality we think what makes her a great catcher is just as much her receiving and blocking and that the throwing out runners stealing is just gravy on top.
Other items that she had to adjust to as a new catcher:
• She was a former SS and tried to catch every pitch…she had to learn to try to block it instead of catching or scooping it (blocking is higher percentage and you can still throw runner out most of the time)...very unnatural but worth learning to do
• Parents often encourage (aka yell) at her to pull the pitch back to the strike zone…she learned instead to shift her body to the right position before the pitch and position her glove the right way (receiving lessons) and freeze it when ball hit rather than jerking out to catch it and then jerking it back thinking umpire would thing it was a strike

To the people that posted that catcher is one of the physically most challenging positions on the field…we totally agree! Make sure your DD is ready for this and know what her breaking point is and watch for it and tell the coach if she hits it…ideally right before she hits it!

To the people that posted that catcher is one of the most mentally challenging positions on the field…we agree even more! Make sure your DD is ready for this and more importantly we think this is the reason many competitive girls want to play catcher. We think it I the quarterback of the infield. Lots of responsibility if done right! And lots of fun! (And lots of stress…so be ready for that!)
Overall…our daughter loves playing the position. It has its share of bumps, bruises and tears…but it also has a lot of excitement, responsibility, development, toughness and glory…and she loves that! And we love it for her.

Good luck to your DD in the position!

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I cannot say enough about New England Catching Camp's video or about the staff. Dave was an awesome instructor up to the day of his passing. Jason it taking the business he and his dad had dreamed of. We called their video our secret weapon here in the Midwest. (my daughter is also a southpaw) and we learned a lot about techniques specific to lefties. They must be very diligent in protecting their throwing hand. The chance for a foul tip to hit the hand is far greater for lefties. They have the opportunity to excel at tag plays at the plate and throwing to first. Whether on bunt coverage or pick offs. (They don't have to turn around!) They have their back to the runners and more room when throwing down the line on dropped third strikes or bunts. (Less likely to hit the base runner)

Coach Weaver expounded on lefties with his article "Lefty Catchers... It Just Ain't Right" You will find their are a lot of coaches that just can't wrap their brain around the notion on a left handed catcher... The good news is that lefties are in hgh demand with more and more softball coaches realizing their advantages. One needs go no farther than UIC Head Coach Michelle Venturella (2000 Olympic gold medal catcher) who is also a southpaw.

Focus on foundation skills... Stance, receiving pitches and blocking. Then work on throwing. The details tend to fall into place after that. Good luck and get ready for an awesome ride....
-Chaz

394150_342908212395835_231377161_n.jpg
LEFTIES ROCK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1