Another year, another team <sigh>

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for your input and commiseration. This board is the place it is because we want the best for the children of complete strangers.

Feeling slightly sheepish in hindsight, considering how brief the rollercoaster ride was this time. I told my kid to believe in herself, and I always did, but there are definitely times when the game behind the game sucks the life out of you. Coaches seem like they're going to adopt the kid one day, then when she comes back the next(at their insistence), she's a redheaded stepchild.

Any and all of you still riding the Bi-Polar Express have my complete sympathy, best of luck in keeping her grounded and finding a better place to grow together.

I could not have said it better. In fact for weeks I have tried to think of a creative way to vent how we were feeling after this season. You're post sums it up.

The positive is I believe everything happens for a reason even when we can't see the reason initially. We start our journey tomorrow and finally I couldn't be more thrilled about the organization we have chosen as our first tryout. I had a long talk with the coach today and was throughly impressed with the candid conversation.

Cheers to new beginnings! I wish you and your DD much success with the new team. :)

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
.....and then I get the email that suddenly there aren't enough girls so there won't be a team. Thought we were done, so skipped this weekend's tryouts, awesome.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Dislike! Most teams in our area are still looking for the last few spots, hopefully something turns up this week and your alt. ego can rest for the season.

I feel for you, this is a tough spot to be in, especially when you thought it was over.

Dec 7, 2011
.....and then I get the email that suddenly there aren't enough girls so there won't be a team. Thought we were done, so skipped this weekend's tryouts, awesome.

At least you know right now!

At my DD's 2nd year of 14U eligibility we joined what we were told & thought was going to be a superstar 16U squad going the national circuit. We didn't hear the team was not filled until January!!! Then the head coach said with overconfidence that we should not overreact and that he would resolve things. This resulted in a March notice that we were now going to be an 18U squad (that's the age bracket he was able to scrape up "players") that ended up being the worst experience of DD's career so far. (multi-age players with multiple levels of skill and dedication going the Class A national circuit - UGH!!!!!)

Then last year I was in your position of scrambling to find a team for DD after the tryouts too!...

I feel for ya man - it's not a happy place when all your DD wants is a chance to play with other motivated & talented teammates. Who would have ever thought managing your DD's affairs would get so difficult huh?.....

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
as a dad new to TB I have to say this thread is scaring the #$@# out of me, but I'd rather go in with my eyes open and not be seriously disappointed then have my naïve expectations dashed later on. My DD just found a team that I think is a good starting point. It is a new org but the coaching staff has a long track record of high level success in TB (The head coach used to run The Next Level here in the San Diego area). I'm approaching it from the standpoint that my 8 year old DD is going to get coached by former D1 players instead of a volunteer dad for at least one season. Since the organization is new, they will either be taking the long view that they have to develop their own talent at 10u and 12u so they have a core group for future 14u-18u teams or they will have to try to compete for players with some very successful orgs in Southern California. From what I can tell I think they are taking the long view because they only have 10u-14u in the org so far.

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado

That's interesting...did the coach say how many players short he/she was? Where I'm at (Colorado), it is way too early to give up on forming a team if you are short even 3-4 players at this point. Even if you are short when October rolls around by one, maybe two, you could reasonably expect to find somebody by March. They'd miss the winter indoors practices, but those are mostly focused around maintenance of strength and conditioning, and hitting, so as long as you get them onboard before outdoor practices start you can get them ramped up fairly quickly.

If they were short by 7 or 8 at this point, then I can see how they might give up.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
We operate under the belief that there is a natural time to adjust your roster, and that's August during tryouts. If you decide then that the player is good enough for your team, live with that decision. Of course, there are exceptions for poor attitude or misconduct by player or parent, but we don't cut just to get a better player in. If a player struggles honor your part of the commitment by working more with that kid outside of practice, or help them find competent private instruction. Do this and your chemistry will be better and your reputation will grow.

Apr 1, 2010
Boy, there's just never a time you can completely relax as a softball parent. DD is staying with her current team; they had their 11 players, we're voting on this year's uniforms, getting ready for the first fundraiser, etc. and then...the three 01s decided to stay down at 12U another year.

So now the coach needs to find at least one more girl. We're also down two assistant coaches and since we had our practice facilities through one of them, he'll have to find a new practice location. I'm sure he can find both, but wow, the silly season strikes again!

Oct 10, 2011
DD decided to stay with her current team so we are not trying out for any others this year after being on 4 teams in 4 years. I did have a polite conversation with the HC to tell him that she will be seeing a hitting instructor that differs from his philosophy, and not to mess it up:) I also had to tell him to not mess with her throw anymore. (She's doing Austin"s Program) He's stubborn, but I think we have an understanding.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
That's interesting...did the coach say how many players short he/she was? Where I'm at (Colorado), it is way too early to give up on forming a team if you are short even 3-4 players at this point. Even if you are short when October rolls around by one, maybe two, you could reasonably expect to find somebody by March. They'd miss the winter indoors practices, but those are mostly focused around maintenance of strength and conditioning, and hitting, so as long as you get them onboard before outdoor practices start you can get them ramped up fairly quickly.

If they were short by 7 or 8 at this point, then I can see how they might give up.

I did not get the numbers. I definitely saw 3 of their names show up on the local uber-org's roster over the weekend,(tryouts same day of course) which means they are studs, maybe in key positions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC