Another year, another team <sigh>

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
WaSpeed02 said:
I like the balanced philosophy of sticking to the concept of developing a core group of girls, yet at the same time, every player must earn their spot on the team and commit to keeping it.

What am I missing here? How can you do both? Are they being judged by effort only and not actual ability?

WaSpeed02's statement makes sense to me. You try to keep a core group of girls, but it's not a free pass to slack off. What if you have 8 girls who are seeing instructors, practicing on their own outside of team practice, coming early/staying late, etc. and are all improving their game versus 3 girls who are only doing the bare minimum and aren't making any extra effort? Isn't it reasonable to say that at the end of the season, you will be loyal to the 8, but are willing to upgrade the 3? JMO.

Now what I would want is for the coaches to make these expectations clear, so that everyone knows what they should be doing if they are committed to the team.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
WaSpeed02's statement makes sense to me. You try to keep a core group of girls, but it's not a free pass to slack off.

That's exactly right.

What if you have 8 girls who are seeing instructors, practicing on their own outside of team practice, coming early/staying late, etc. and are all improving their game versus 3 girls who are only doing the bare minimum and aren't making any extra effort? Isn't it reasonable to say that at the end of the season, you will be loyal to the 8, but are willing to upgrade the 3? JMO.

That's pretty close to our situation. We retained 8 girls and had 3 leave. The 3 that left weren't because of lack of effort or ability, but because of other circumstances. That being said, 2 of the 3 we got in their place are upgrades, at least in raw talent. However, one of the girls who left was the inspirational leader on the team and I don't know if that can be replaced. I even got choked up last night at the year-end party when the girls were saying goodbye to her and all of them were bawling their eyes out. :(

Mar 28, 2013
That's exactly right.

That's pretty close to our situation. We retained 8 girls and had 3 leave. The 3 that left weren't because of lack of effort or ability, but because of other circumstances. That being said, 2 of the 3 we got in their place are upgrades, at least in raw talent. However, one of the girls who left was the inspirational leader on the team and I don't know if that can be replaced. I even got choked up last night at the year-end party when the girls were saying goodbye to her and all of them were bawling their eyes out. :(

Please tell me you are not talking about mighty mite.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Well, two weeks, two tryouts and she's got a new family. This was a long shot, older team with an org. that has a solid history of developing kids, recruiting work, and always playing the best teams around. I strongarmed her into going, but she was fearless when she got there.

You hear it a lot, but let me tell you: Coachability FTW.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for your input and commiseration. This board is the place it is because we want the best for the children of complete strangers.

Feeling slightly sheepish in hindsight, considering how brief the rollercoaster ride was this time. I told my kid to believe in herself, and I always did, but there are definitely times when the game behind the game sucks the life out of you. Coaches seem like they're going to adopt the kid one day, then when she comes back the next(at their insistence), she's a redheaded stepchild.

Any and all of you still riding the Bi-Polar Express have my complete sympathy, best of luck in keeping her grounded and finding a better place to grow together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877