Another "What should we do?" Post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
For a number of reasons, we have found ourselves without a team for 2012 (last team just disbanded).

My DD has an offer to play on a lesser team in an overall good club that happens to have two 12U teams (a 1st year and a 2nd year team). There is the possibility of moving on to the 2nd year team at some point in the summer, but it's not guaranteed. Our concerns are that this could be a long season with a not-so-good team. The coach seems OK personally, but I think he has some pretty rose-colored glasses on. He wants to play an aggressive schedule that will wear out this bunch of players and families pretty quickly.

Her mother and I have discussed with her the possibility of playing on a decent rec team at a local association and trying to get some tournament play as a pick up player. There are some definite cons to this approach.

DD is not overly-excited about either option. Given the time of year, and the relative unavailability of 12U openings in our area, we're pondering if we should just take option 1 or 2, or something different all together.

Looking for advice from some of the seasoned veterans on this board - parents, coaches, and players. Anyone ever been faced with a similar situation? What did you do?

If it matters - DD is a (late) 1999 birthday and is very good defensively. Average bat. Probably at the lower end of average in speed. Medium in size. She pitched for 3 years, but recently gave it up to focus on other aspects of the game.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I think TB is not Rec Ball and to fall back has some risks (skills wise) than playing more often on a lessor winning TB team. While winning matters, it is not everything all the time. Maybe your DD will shine on this team and it will allow her a better chance at moving over in the summer to a new team. Maybe she will make her next best friend for life on the lessor team? Who knows? As a coach I too had rose colored glasses when I started this last year in TB so I understand your position. I probably had some parents who felt the same way about me as you do about this guy. However those who have stuck with me have seen my learning adjustments and been there to support me in a positive way after changes were made that helped our team. That felt good to know people were willing to let me learn as well rather than roll on me and treat me as if I were incapable.

That said...Rec Ball is not horrible either. If you are looking for short break, as TB can be hectic and seem never ending, this could allow for a much needed moment of clarity for you and your DD.

That said my completely biased opinion is...play on the lessor team until Summer and remain positive and have fun.
:D

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I am with Crush. Don't fall back to REC ball. Wins and losses don't matter in the big scheme of things at 12 years of age. Fundamentals do. Of course, I am assuming that she will learn better fundamentals with the TB team.

Nov 29, 2009
Make your own options. Call, email, FB, Tweet or snail mail other coaches and teams in the area. See if you can get your DD out for a look-see. Expand your search to teams within a 45-60 minute drive, or more if necessary. Think outside the box. The ABSOLUTE worst thing than can happen is they tell you they have no room on their rosters. Your DD has lost nothing!!! All it cost was a little bit of time.

Hitting, hitting, hitting and more hitting is what she'll need to work on. If she can hit she'll play. Get her private lessons. Listen to the instructor and learn yourself. Work on the drills every day. Don't try to interpret the instructor's teachings to what you think is right. Do what he/she says.

This is not meant to be mean, just an observation from the info you provided. From what you describe your DD is an average player. She does not have a "Stand out" skill such as speed, hitting or size. There are plenty of good to superior kids out there defensively. As you move up in age and competition level it becomes expected and ceases to be a head turner. Another big strike is a late softball birthday. Many teams are looking for the kids with the Jan, Feb and Mar birthdays. They want an aged team.

I'm guessing she was struggling with pitching and decided to give it up when she realized she was falling behind her peers. The kids can see what is happening and they are usually smarter than we give them credit for.

Apr 8, 2010
Good opinions. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the same fears of taking the rec option, Crush and Quake.

Sparky - your post has some ring to it. Her hitting has suffered some in the past. She has been in hitting lessons for a few months now and is showing huge improvement. With pitching..actually she was a VERY good pitcher. Just got burned out. Part of the reason our last team fell apart was b/c she decided to step away from pitching. Some of the other families felt we would not be a competitive team w/o her in the rotation (begs the question as to how strong of a team we were anyway if one or two players have that much of an impact) and the whole thing just went south.

Nov 29, 2009
With pitching..actually she was a VERY good pitcher. Just got burned out.

Maybe a little time away from the circle will re-energize her desire to pitch. Everyone is ALWAYS looking for good pitching.

Good luck with your search.

Feb 3, 2011
With pitching..actually she was a VERY good pitcher. Just got burned out. Part of the reason our last team fell apart was b/c she decided to step away from pitching. Some of the other families felt we would not be a competitive team w/o her in the rotation (begs the question as to how strong of a team we were anyway if one or two players have that much of an impact) and the whole thing just went south.
In 8u/10u/12u, for those thinking about wins and losses and trying to competitive, pitching is everything. A dominant pitcher turns a poor hitting team into a decent team and a tough out in most tournaments.

At these young age groups, when parents (or even players) look ahead to the upcoming season or to the season just beyond the next one, they're often excited to know their DD is going to be on a team that has quality pitching and thus a chance to be competitive. But if one of the top starters leaves the rotation for any reason, it takes a bit of wind out of their sails. Some parents have a hard time hiding their disappointment from their DDs, even though a single game hasn't even been played.

Our comp team had 2 starters in 2011. This year, we'll have 4. There will be enough innings to get each of the girls some circle time each week, while not putting too much pressure on or overworking any 1 of them. It's not a surefire guarantee against early burnout, but we think it's our responsibility as coaches to think about that factor as we plan for our team.

I cannot echo strongly enough everything Sparky says about hitting. At 12u, I'm taking the great bat who's average in the field over the average bat who's great in the field. Try to find a comp team for her, but she's going to need plenty of game at-bats, too, even if that means playing some rec ball for a couple months.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Speaking as a Rec. coach I will happily accept a player as long as they will be with us, regardless of their skill level. If I know going into the season our Team is just a stop gap until the Player finds a TB team for the season that is OK with me. Think most Rec. coaches are the same, probably not TB coaches.

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for everyone's input. Here's an update - she was prepared to accept the spot on the select team. Last weekend at practice the coach asked her to pitch. She reluctantly agreed. The catcher was afraid of the bal, turned on a fastball, and took one to the ribs. Later in practice my DD threw from 3rd to 1st and the girl totally ate the ball. Wasn't pretty. My DD walked off the field and sat the rest of practice. Later that night she decided to go the rec route and get some tournament play as a pick-up player.

Then yesterday I got two calls offering her spots on very reputable teams. We go to two workouts this Saturday and will have a team before we to to bed! We are all very happy now!!

jaguars2010

Mar 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Quincy:

You are right on! I coached in our local Babe Ruth (Rec) League years ago and now coach High School Varsity. Having an above average player on the rec team makes all the other players better. They strive to be as good as that above average player. Keep up the great work of developing future high school players.

It is just a game! Let the kids have fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30