Another tryout question/poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
If your DD's team is having an open tryout, and the coach wants the current players to attend, what jersey do they wear? The team's jersey or go incognito?

I am curious b/c in the past, DD's coach wanted them to wear team jersey so potential players could see how good the team was, so they'd be more likely to join.

We've also attended other teams' tryouts (of course, DD went incognito), and their players wore the team's jersey. It backfired for some when DD said she wouldn't go to a team b/c the current players weren't good.

We've attended tryouts where no one wore the team's jersey, so we thought perhaps they weren't invited or just went incognito.

Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2019
I'm of the opinion that they should wear the jersey, you need to see how they fit with the current girls. It's as much about team chemistry as anything. Now this is for teams that are just looking to fill gaps. Some tryouts aren't really tryouts they already know who they want, if someone knocks their socks off good but it's likely there really aren't any open spot available. If it's truly an open tryout then I don't think it matters. Could be the incognito tryouts were only looking for a few players and the rest of the team wasn't even there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If your DD's team is having an open tryout, and the coach wants the current players to attend, what jersey do they wear? The team's jersey or go incognito?

I am curious b/c in the past, DD's coach wanted them to wear team jersey so potential players could see how good the team was, so they'd be more likely to join.

We've also attended other teams' tryouts (of course, DD went incognito), and their players wore the team's jersey. It backfired for some when DD said she wouldn't go to a team b/c the current players weren't good.

We've attended tryouts where no one wore the team's jersey, so we thought perhaps they weren't invited or just went incognito.

Thoughts?
Looks like your own post weighed this topic at 50/50...
That is 50/50 as to how it may help or not making a difference at the tryouts.

Think when coaches post open tryouts and really only need a couple players...those positions should be specified.
Jersey topic becomes irrelevant.

However~ if coaches are really intending that ALL players are trying out.
No jersey should be worn,
Because if your really trying out, no one should have a spot on the team yet = no jersey yet.

May 29, 2015
Chico’s Bail Bonds jersey.

I can see @RADcatcher ’s point about “everybody is trying out, no jerseys” … but I fall more on the “you are an ambassador to this team” side and believe past players should wear team attire AND be considered an actual part of the tryout process.

I’m not saying they should get the final say, but they should have input. A coach should ask things like “How did you get along with Players X, Y, and Little ZiZi?” “How was Player A’s attitude while you guys were …?” Coaches don’t see everything!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi