Another open workout question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
DH is AC on our team. My DD is somewhat well known in our age group locally. There's a team that has open work outs and I've heard they're really, really good. Like 4 hours of drills and hard work. My DD loves those and our team doesn't have them often. I know the HC of this team, a little bit. Would it be totally uncool for me to see if he minds if I bring DD to the open workout even though we're not looking for a team? It's a very well known org so she'd be one of a bunch, I'm sure. As much as she'd enjoy the work out (and she knows some of the girls on the team and would enjoy working out with them again), I'm not sure if my question would violate tryout etiquette. Or if they might think I was spying for DH or something.

I'm trying to understand the "why" would she work out with this team if she has no plans on leaving her current team? The "open workout" is a euphemism for "we are actively looking for players to fill positions on our current team".

This isn't a softball camp scenario where your DD is looking to acquire additional skills, etc. It's a tryout....

Jun 12, 2015
And that's pretty much what I was asking. I know other parents who will take their kids to work outs for the extra work when they're not thinking about that team as a possibility. I was wondering about the etiquette of that. Hence the thread. It seems as though there's not really a consensus. But the potential for drama makes me think it's not worth it. The why is, like I said, DD loves a good hard work out with lots of drills. She'd have fun. That's really the only reason.

Feb 7, 2013
Just Go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I respectively disagree. The team holding the "open workout" is not a charity that wants to make all the kids on other teams better by holding an open practice. They are looking for players who are good and are dissatisfied with their current teams. For the OP to attend it's a little dishonest pretending like she is looking. Combine that with a dad who is an assistant coach on her current team, the whole thing looks very bad. I don't think there is any upside to going to this "open workout" unless you are considering changing teams.

Jun 12, 2015
I respectively disagree. The team holding the "open workout" is not a charity that wants to make all the kids on other teams better by holding an open practice. They are looking for players who are good and are dissatisfied with their current teams. For the OP to attend it's a little dishonest pretending like she is looking. Combine that with a dad who is an assistant coach on her current team, the whole thing looks very bad. I don't think there is any upside to going to this "open workout" unless you are considering changing teams.

I don't lie. I know the other team's coach. If we were going to go I was going to talk to him about it first. DD has several friends on his team, and these are 11 year olds so it's not like we're talking Russian spy level stuff here. lol. I know at least some coaches who'd want me to bring her either way in the hopes of changing our minds. ;) But we're not going to change our minds for this year.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't lie. I know the other team's coach. If we were going to go I was going to talk to him about it first. DD has several friends on his team, and these are 11 year olds so it's not like we're talking Russian spy level stuff here. lol. I know at least some coaches who'd want me to bring her either way in the hopes of changing our minds. ;) But we're not going to change our minds for this year.

I just see no point of going to a "tryout" if you have no intentions of joining this team now or in the near future? Switch the situation. You are on a team where the assistant coach's daughter is attending a rivals 4 hour "open workout". What would you as a parent think?

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
If you have no intention of switching teams, don't go. When we were transitioning from 10U to 12U, we went to an open workout and no I didn't tell my daughter's coach before I took her. Trust me when I tell you he found out. One thing to keep in mind, your daughter is a pitcher and the softball community is small here in GA. Everyone knows everyone or at least all the coaches know each other well. If your kid is a pitcher, or at least one of the top pitchers in your age group then you literally cannot even cough without the rumors flying so if you show up at another team's tryout then you know how that is going to go down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes