Another DP/Flex question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
If the Flex has not yet batted in a game and has not been replaced on defense can that player replace "any" player in the batting order? For example, if we start a game (ASA rules) with 10 players and use a DP/Flex and get half way through the game and 3B/#3 hitter gets hurt and has to leave, can the flex take over that #3 spot in the lineup if she hasn't ever hit or run for the DP at that point and has only played the field? Looking for a way to get all 10 involved without having to keep a kid on the bench until late in the game as a sub in case of injury.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Flex can only bat for DP.
DP can play defense for anyone, so could play 3B, but remain in original batting position.
Flex sub in at 3rd would be an illegal sub.
I THINK if you do not have a sub, you would have to take in out for the injured player's at bat in ASA...and USSSA forgives the spot in the batting order for an injured player, no out given.

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks guys. Have coached LL teams for years and while my 13 year old has played travel for a few years her team never uses it so since I started coaching JV this year I am trying to familiarize myself with it. Seem to be a lot of scenarios where it can be taken advantage of using multiple defensive subs but given that the flex is locked in to only bat in DP spot it doesn't seem like a good idea to use it with 10 players. Thanks again.

Apr 11, 2015
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the pitching limits are for Babe Ruth 10U and 12U divisions for non tournament games.

Thank you

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Thanks guys. Have coached LL teams for years and while my 13 year old has played travel for a few years her team never uses it so since I started coaching JV this year I am trying to familiarize myself with it. Seem to be a lot of scenarios where it can be taken advantage of using multiple defensive subs but given that the flex is locked in to only bat in DP spot it doesn't seem like a good idea to use it with 10 players. Thanks again.

That is a correct analysis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd