Another arguement FOR facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
My question keeps coming back to, why is this happening so many times? I've said this before (and this is without the hot bats) but I've seen three pitchers not take a line drive that comes back at them. I've played to the top of my sport without going state. I don't understand how these girls aren't stopping the balls.

If the bats are making the sport THAT much more dangerous, they need to be banned.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD is 14 and plays 2nd base. She has worn a mask for the past 3 years. She likes it because she doesn't like the mouth guards. She can see and talk just fine with it on. She always had to take the mouth guard out to talk. She doesn't wear it because she's afraid or not fast enough - she has some of the fastest hands on the team; she wears it to avoid the bad hops to the mouth. When she picks up her glove, she picks up her mask. It doesn't matter whether she's warming up or playing.

Sep 3, 2009
No, it just means we have a difference of opinion. It's incredibly rude to state something like that.

I quoted noone. My point is, that the argument against is an ignorant one, not anyone in particular. There is no valid reason to be against them. Personal choice? Sure, but a blanket decision to be against them? Ignorant.

Like I said in my reply, I've played the sport for 27 years. No-one needs to lecture me about the danger of sport. I've seen it first hand, I've experienced it first hand. I still don't think face masks are needed, nor should they be compulsory.

Well.. we agree on mandates. If they choose to wear one, great. if they choose to have plastic surgery at an early age, then okie. Hopefully their choice is based on fully weighing both options and their consequences, not an adult telling them they're "not needed".

Mar 13, 2010
Well.. we agree on mandates. If they choose to wear one, great. if they choose to have plastic surgery at an early age, then okie. Hopefully their choice is based on fully weighing both options and their consequences, not an adult telling them they're "not needed".

I agree that it is 100% an athlete's choice. If one of my girls came to me and said they were wearing a mask, I'd be 100% behind them and keep my personal opinions to myself.

How many girls do you know who've needed plastic surgery? I know one in the entire time I played. One. Out of literally thousands of pitchers.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I happened to be the on deck batter when my team mate lined a baseball back at the opposing pitcher....this is back with wood bats ........broke his nose, took out multiple teeth, required reconstructive surgery. the pitcher was my team mate in high school and legion ball.....he had real promise but was never the same player afetr being hit..

Nov 18, 2009
I agree that it is 100% an athlete's choice. If one of my girls came to me and said they were wearing a mask, I'd be 100% behind them and keep my personal opinions to myself.

How many girls do you know who've needed plastic surgery? I know one in the entire time I played. One. Out of literally thousands of pitchers.

But would you want your daughter to be that 1?

Mar 13, 2010
Life is full of risk. My future daughter would be taught every possible way to avoid the outcome, including having a mouth guard in. If she came to me and said she'd feel more comfortable wearing a face mask, I'd be at the store the next day.

Hopefully by the time I have a daughter and she's old enough to be playing at that level, these bats will be banned.

Sep 3, 2009

When my kids were young, I told them to wear their seatbelts, always. Without exception. Not because it's the law. It is, but that was NOT my reasoning for drilling this into their heads at an early age. I don't have to personally witness a crash, to know that doing so greatly reduces risk to injury, or worse. It's just common sense. Sure, the statistics are most likely on your side.

One too many. And I've even seen a few girls get a nice bruise from their facemasks before. But they got to finish the inning...

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Life is full of risk. My future daughter would be taught every possible way to avoid the outcome, including having a mouth guard in. If she came to me and said she'd feel more comfortable wearing a face mask, I'd be at the store the next day.

Hopefully by the time I have a daughter and she's old enough to be playing at that level, these bats will be banned.

Lozza, would you privately call your daughter foolish for wearing one? I didn't think so.

My kid, at 11 years old, hit a line drive back to the pitcher, hitting her square in the knee cap. The poor kid dropped like a stone, the thud of the ball hitting her was sickening. She had to be carried off of the field and to the hospital. My daughter was very upset that she hurt someone so bad. She was using a Demarini Cat Osterman singlewall aluminum bat, so you can't blame technology for this one. Ever since that day, my DD has worn a mask (her choice) when she's playing 3B or SS. It truly has made her a better player. I think every kid knows the risk, but wearing the mask, my kid attacks the ball, beating the catcher easily to bunts up the 3B line.

Infielders are taught to keep their glove in the dirt when a batter is swinging, and pitchers are sometimes a little off balance at the end of their pitch, it could be the bottom of the 7th of the third game of the day, it 90 degrees out, the sun has been pounding on you all day, mistakes will be made, hopefully accidents won't happen, but they always do. Hopefully the injuries aren't bad; it is only minor sports after all. Foolish, I think not.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Lozza - The difference between the parents of players that wear masks and the parents of players that do not wear masks is that the pro-mask parents don't mind that your DD doesn't wear one - but we constantly have to put up with "coward" label being pushed on our kids for wearing a mask. Why does it bother you (and a lot of others, mostly old-school men if you read this site and others) so much? Why is it a sign of weakness? And I also agree that it should be a choice, not a mandate, to have a player wear a mask - but if that player wears a mask, it should not be held against her like a scarlet letter.

Because let's be real - ASA and other organizations will make that $45-$60 mask mandatory before they'll ask the bat companies to re-tool bats to not be so hot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd