Angel Bunner: Crowhop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2012
The pitcher in the video is illegal because she is leaping. There is no drag mark from the rubber and the re-plant hole in front of the rubber. I would probably not call this crow hopping as much as leaping. The pivot foot does re-plant but it appears that the pivot foot is pulled forward by the hips closing. Although, when she throws the drop curve she does push off with the pivot foot. She is definitely leaping.

^^^ Totally agree here.

Dec 7, 2011
Meaningless to debate until umpires take a stand....

Wisconsin’s McIntosh does the same thing and gets away with it all the time.

Umpiring did the worst thing from my perspective. Three-four years ago was it they made everything illegal followed by what I bet was a capitulation to the softball "establishment" from pressure to back off half their pitchers on the roster. So they backed off and made it a farce.

From my perspective pitchers are some of the best intuitive athletes in sports. Make it illegal and hold firm and watch all the pitchers that are illegal make the successful change.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
What would you call this? Is this what is going to be considered a legal pitch. IMO this is crow-hopping and at full speed it is hard to see whether the pivot foot leaves the ground or not. But it very clearly gives the pitcher a speed advantage over girls who do not do this.

Grace Moll - YouTube

I have never seen this pitcher live, so this may be an aberration for her- I am just using the clip as an example.

I would disagree that this gives her a speed advantage. Her form is not ideal and power is lost the way she drags her foot. She has momentum going toward first base and has to almost restart her push. I don't advocate this form at all.

Apr 4, 2012
Two off topic things.

1. Angel is from my area and it was just announced that she was drafted by the Carolina Diamonds. Clearly someone likes the way she pitches.

2. I'm not a real fan of conspiracies but there is always the possibility that the governing bodies are giving the pitchers more leeway in their delivery to try and steer the sport a bit. As bat technology advances maybe they want to give the pitchers more ammo. Pitching duels are a big draw in MLB so maybe they are hoping for that more. They could also be trying to align the rules and playing styles to the pro game to help grow that. Just some thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55