10YR DD Pitching Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 10, 2014
Oklahoma
VA

Good question, we do play in a 10UB Utrip league. This particular video is of her pitching to a slightly younger team, they needed some experience batting against better pitchers, and it was her usual practice time so as long as they let her pitch and not just be a batting practice pitcher we went for it. She did not look all that smooth that night and the video confirmed it (some it probably was mentally because she knew she wasnt facing very good hitters, part of the mental game we are still working on). I say all that to say, as you can see she did not have a pitchers rubber, I usually have one on me at all times, but in this instance I thought we were playing on a playing field, and it happened that we got moved to a field for 43 feet pitching distances, and I forgot the pitching rubber. I usually hate her not pitching on one, but in this case it wasnt an option.

As I stated in my original post she does do this from time to time and when she was 8U we did have to work on the back foot from leaping. Even with a pitching rubber she still will do this from time to time but has not been called on it yet. Its funny because the other 2 pitchers on our team are always getting other coaches to call out illegal pitches to the umpires, but she has yet, even though she is just as or maybe even more affective. I could be wrong but I think its more pronounced here because she is trying to get a push off the ground, and usually she has a pitching rubber to push forward with rather than up.

Of course Pauly pointed out the mechanical issue of why she may still do this, which after looking at it, we will be working on and like I said I do see it from time to time on the Pitching Rubber, but it hurts her accuracy, so that's the first thing I point out if she has a hard time hitting her spots. Dont know if it correlates with mechanics overall, but for her it seems to take away her effectiveness.

As for her mental part, as of yet, she doesnt show any emotion when things are going crazy or she is getting shelled, where as the other 2 pitchers it really gets to them, and I believe she knows usually to correct this, even if it was to be brought to her attention by an umpire.

Good points however, thats actually what bugged me most about the video, its funny how much more I can see when watching the slow mo, rather than on the bucket :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles