10YR DD Pitching Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 10, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey Guys,

Been looking at this forum for over a year now, and finally got the nerve to post a video of my DD pitching and see what may need to be worked on the most.

Some background

Started with an instructor at 7 and half, had what I would call a natural ability to throw underhand with some straightness right away. Her and another girl on her 8U team (REC) were the best of the whole league in terms of getting it over the plate in a straight manner, and looked the part. So we have been developing ever since. She now plays 10U B ball, and to the dismay of many teams she gets a lot of grounders and dink hits, which lets our defense get the outs. Of course when she throws it down the middle they usually get a good piece of it. So she does work on hitting spots and can do that pretty consistently.

Now havnt been to a lesson in over a year because I found this forum and it took a little while for us to figure out that IR is the way we want to proceed. I have always thought that she had a little bit of it already in her, but never isolated it to find out. Needless to say there are no IR instructors around, so its been all on me to make sure she keeps growing and not getting into any bad habits. She has always been real consistent around the plate, and sometimes that hurts her now because teams are on the first pitch knowing she is going to be close.

Over the offseason we worked on throwing harder and getting more speed on the ball, and went from averaging 38, to about 43 with her top speed of 45. This by just mentioning the little things I could obtain and grasp of IR without really breaking down her mechanics, and she seemed to understand. We have watched 2 of the BH videos, and she understands I think of what we are trying to accomplish, but as always its a work in progress. I think drive mechanics are really going to be the worst of what she does now.

I was finally able to capture her pitching, this is practice to another team, but she was working on her stuff as she would in a game. I noticed some things I thought looked good and of course some things to work on. She just played a game a few days before that she threw hard and I guess it must of been straight cause they teed off on it pretty bad, so I mentioned we need to work on spinning the ball to make it move more and adjusting speeds, and keep away from a straight arm on the pitch. So this practice I think she actually was trying all of that, and looks a little off to me.

Things I notice that maybe you can help with.
1. She has always turned her push off foot, and depending on the day it can be a lot or a little. We do work on keeping it straight, but as you can see its still in her to do it.
2. Working on stride mechanics, she still has lot of work to do with understanding the loading portion of her body, she is awkward with running, so this may get better as she grows into her body, but she was trying to at least start it off right, but I dont think she gets into it as much. She just pitched a game this weekend where she looked as though she was really using her legs to drive, and did well, so maybe she is getting it the more she pitches. This video doesnt show that unfortunatly.
3. From what I can tell, the IR portion looks good, but she didnt have a lot of speed on the ball, but again she was really concentrating on spin and using index fingers and such to make it move a certain way.
4. I noticed the back foot coming up a little high, and she has had to deal with that occasionally, but usually I can let her know and she keeps it down, so that for sure is something we need to address constantly.
5. her drag foot when she does do that, I think hurts her momentum as it seems like she digs her foot in the dirt rather than glides it.
6. Faster arm circle may help some of this?

Thank you in advance for any constructive critiques

Anyway, I am sure there may be some comments and thats what I am looking for to help her grow. So please if you got a second. I got the full speed and then a slow mo clip

Mar 28, 2013
Looks like she is being taught most of the correct mechanics but what I notice is what is typical with young pitchers is needing to work on Body awareness.First pitch looks great, Maybe a little heavy on the drag foot so maybe work on drive. second pitch the oh so common chicken wing creeping in, the third pitch it looks like she is trying to revert back to hello elbow. my suggestion would be to spend some time working on getting her to FEEL what its like when her mechanics are correct and to develop a zone to help her keep them consistent and imprint it. This is big at 10u.Focusing on mechanics only is only half the battle for young pitchers. She looks great and tell her to keep up the good work. Love the aggression on the front plant. Gonna have one heck of a heater.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like the load and the whip. Check out the Drive Mechanics sticky for some ideas on how to clean up everything inbetween.

Arm circle speed is not something I'd focus much on. Arm circle speed has to do with helping power the drive, then timing for the whip. Speeding up the arm circle does not always help ball speed.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her form looks great. She is one of the best 10YOA pitchers I've seen.

Of course, she is awkward. She is 10YOA. You aren't going to fix her awkwardness this summer.

I would let her pitch the summer. Concentrate on making sure she doesn't develop any bad habits rather than refining her form. Take a couple of months off in the fall, and get back at in January. In 2015, then start working on her form again.

IMHO, you are going to have diminishing returns on any extra work during the summer.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have been telling myself to just wait until she is able to understand how to be more athletic and just let the process take care of itself, its hard though. :)

I just needed some feedback with like minded individuals so I can at least have an idea she is headed in the right direction.

Thanks again

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Go to 1:00 of the video...what is the deal with the girl on 1B during the last pitch? She is running *back* to 1B as the pitcher goes into her pitching motion. Then, she turns around and runs back... Also, gotta love the socks on of the girl playing 1B.

Pitcher03
Your DD is doing lots of good things....she appears to naturally have high energy....which is actually hard to teach if it is not there.
One of the issues you pointed out was relative to her push foot leap....and it is prevalent in this video. I would suggest working very hard on correcting this now. Below I have put up two pics of her. One with her push foot airborne and one that has an arrow focusing in on her landing leg. Note how it is straightened out very early....she never really gets her knee up. In the subsequent post I have a pic from one of Java Sources sticky thread on Drive Energy....this pic shows good drive posture and knee bend. The early straight leg your DD is doing can be the culprit of the leap.....have her try two things to correct it: 1) knee drive similar to Java Sources pic 2) bring the glove arm up a little higher so it gets to 2 o'clock when the ball is at 12 o'clock.
Edit....for some reason the system will not let me load the third pic.....so go back to the video to see the push foot leap.

Leaping Correction Leg Drive.jpgLeaping Leg Lock Pic.jpg

Last edited:
Another great illustration of the knee drive I am referring to can be seen in the Blaire Luna thread txnick just started.
Also, check the landing foot angle on DD.....it concerns me that it is at 90 degrees (or more)....this may inhibit her ability to rotated hips and shoulders a bit.....not to mention a lot of twisting and torquing on the knee joint. Note how her foot rotates back toward 45 degrees after release.....I think the body/foot is trying to tell her something.

Apr 10, 2014
Oklahoma
Ricky Pauly thank you for that observation. I see it now, I never noticed that before, although I have read that more than once on this site. We will defiantly be working on that and looking at the pictures and video to see where she can correct this. Makes sense to me now.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Curious what rules do you play by?

I ask because you can see in the real-time video speed that her foot is clearly off the ground. When viewed in the slo-mo the foot is clearly off the ground at 0:25, 0;52, & 1:04. In most leagues (that I am familiar with) this is an illegal pitch. The back foot must stay in contact with the pitcher's plate and then the ground, until after the ball is released from the pitcher's hand. ("crow hop" or "the leap" in USSSA)

Not bringing this up to sway her enthusiasm. She is doing good for a 10y/o. More concerned of her getting upset or demoralized when an umpire or opposing coach calls the pitch. Not the end of the world and hopefully at that age it is called in an educational manner (if at all).

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414