Anchoring and not stabilizing during game pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
DD has started anchoring and not stabilizing in the last couple of weeks while she is pitching in games. She has gotten a lot taller this past 6 months but I don't think that is the issue. Im hoping the pitching gurus can validate my hunches on why she is anchoring. Im thinking her backwards stacked posture upon landing is causing the drag leg to not have enough room to come forward. I also think she could be striding out too far but she has always done that. When she lands it is nearly impossible for her to stabilize due to the drag leg being stuck. This causes her to jump/hop after she releases the ball. Below is a slo mo and regular speed video. This was this past weekend. She doesn't always anchor this bad but I wanted to show the worse case so everyone would know what I'm seeing. Any help would be much appreciated.

[video]https://youtu.be/O6FEqPw6UGs[/video]

Apr 12, 2015
Personally, I am not seeing the stability problem. Her arm whip looks pretty good.

Her crow hop is causing the anchor problem. Fixing the crow hop and doing a proper toe drag will align her hips better and give her a better stability point for her brush interference, as well as giving her some hip snap.

Adding that her hop is small and I do not think she replants, but in the slow motion video you can see the point she gets airborne and the resultant back hip rotation.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2013
She might be doing to much leaping up instead of out. Looks like when she lands the front leg never recovers and she doesnt firm it up until after she throws. Might need a closer vid to make sure.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks guys. I was looking at those vids a little closer and saw the same things you did. We decided to focus on the hip this evening during practice. I'm not a huge fan of this drill she is doing (driving the drag leg forward upon follow through) but it did help her with the anchoring. Below are a couple vids. Any input on the drill??? Good? Bad? Appreciate it.
[video]https://youtu.be/yYi74_K-CG0[/video]

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Personally, I am not seeing the stability problem. Her arm whip looks pretty good.

Her crow hop is causing the anchor problem. Fixing the crow hop and doing a proper toe drag will align her hips better and give her a better stability point for her brush interference, as well as giving her some hip snap.

Adding that her hop is small and I do not think she replants, but in the slow motion video you can see the point she gets airborne and the resultant back hip rotation.

She would never get called in our area. You almost have to beg for it lol

She doesn't look bad to me either. I agree on the out vs up. What age is she?

Apr 12, 2015
She would never get called in our area. You almost have to beg for it lol

I doubt it would get called in many places, it is barely noticeable. I just pointed it out because that split second of total weightlessness is what is causing her rear hip to rotate and turn that foot back toward the rubber.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
our PC is big on "not letting the heel drop",
and that focus really seemed to help my DD drag with her toe-tips vs digging a trench with the whole instep of her foot.

DD is still a work in progress, and doesn't get in a laces-forward position completely yet,
but does have a nice light toe drag, and her foot doesn't point backwards anymore.
That is improvement.

Your DD looks MUCH BETTER in the practice clip!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah the practice clip looks pretty good, I'm not seeing anything just jump out at me.

The game clip was obvious that she had an issue staying/leaning too far back and not allowing herself to naturally continue forward, just the cue about what she needs to with her back foot not being an anchor and dragging it but actually having nice light toe only drag (almost like she is trying to float on her tip toe) and then drag leg following through on follow up should do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi