An emotional end to a special travel team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've decided after an emotional weekend that travel teams are like romances. Most don't end well. I had the privilege Sunday of seeing one come to a close in a special way.

A very popular head coach has been going through some health and personal issues, and a couple of weeks ago, he announced at a tournament that he would no longer be coaching softball. Neither of his assistants nor any other parents have the time or desire to fill his shoes. So that set up an emotional last stand this past weekend in South Carolina.

The team, mostly 15-year-olds, won several tournaments this year. The final event was a showcase, so there was no trophies to carry home, but the team went out a winner - 6-0.

Before the last game, players were taking about what it would be like to take the field for the last time together. Which one would cry first? The final inning was 3 up, 3 down. One out was a 4-3 grounder, a play between two fielders who grew up in the same little town, best friends. Very fitting, I thought. The final out was a fly ball to right field. The pitcher walks toward the dugout and doesn't make it to the foul line before tears are rolling down her face.

The players pack up their stuff, and the coach gathers them outside the field in a close knot where everyone could hear a whisper. He starts with, 'You girls are special, and I love every one of you.' And then he begins to cry. There wasn't a girl who didn't in the end. Probably not a parent either, but I so busy wiping and hiding mine that I couldn't confirm it.

So many thoughts have crossed my mind since that happened yesterday. One is that most teams don't end well. Many run out of steam, a shell of their former selves. Others implode, or people leave angry or feeling under-appreciated. Somebody doesn't like somebody else. Sometimes there's no emotion at all. Players and families just walk away without any connection to each other, still looking for that right team they've never found.

This team ended at the right time. Players were having different ambitions. Some were at a crossroads. The head coach's decision allowed it to end with the dignity it deserved. Since then, three players have decided to quit travel ball, and not because they aren't good. One batted leadoff, the other third and hit two HR last weekend, and the other was the shortstop. Most of the rest are headed to other showcase teams and want to play in college.

DD joined this team in February. I remember her tryout and seeing the team mom with a bunch of new uniforms and thinking I'd be so proud if DD wore that jersey. The team had a good history. I worried during the tryout that the players weren't talking to her, that they might not like her, the things that parents fret about. Then they invited her to play in a tournament as a further tryout. First at-bat, struck out. Second at-bat, swung and missed twice, and I'm thinking here we go again, but she singles to center. Went 4-for-6 and got an invitation.

For a while, she thought she didn't fit in, that she didn't have a friend on the team, and worried that she'd made a mistake by choosing them. By the end, she had decided it was the funnest team she'd ever been on, that she'd never been around a better group of 10 players where everybody liked each other. On the field, she had a two-HR game vs. our arch-rivals one day in May. She also let a ball get by her in the outfield to the fence at the NSA World Series that triggered a come-from-behind loss. She cried on the drive back to the hotel that day.

But as memorable and as valuable as all of those ups and downs were, the symbol of this season will be that tight circle of tears at the end. To me, it was an epiphany. It seemed the search for meaning in all this insanity that is travel ball was found inside.

I am going to miss rooting for these kids and hanging out with these parents. It was a just pleasure, and I'll really miss it. The good times and the good friends are so much more important than any of the good plays that our daughters will ever make. That's what these girls will remember, and that's what they will be remembered for.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
Great story, Coogan. Thank you for sharing! You are right there are not enough happy endings with teams.

Nov 29, 2009
Sometimes the stars do align in the right direction for everyone involved with a team. Sounds like the sport lost a good coach who knew how to make a team, a team.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Nice story - I'm glad it ended well. Age 15-16 seems to be the time when interests start to diverge. There is a rec league here that has a lot of 18U teams. The level of play is pretty good since it is mostly girls who have played travel ball and want to stay in the game, but don't want the 100 game, all summer long schedule of TB anymore.

I've been very lucky over the last 15 years. Pretty much all of my teams have ended well.

However, I've already promised my family that I will retire from ultra-competitive coaching after the 2017 season, as my own DD will need to move to 16U at that point (if she isn't playing 16U before then). I will then watch her from the stands if she continues to play or will go cold turkey if she hangs 'em up.

My wife and I have decided that I will eventually return to coaching and will do so at 18U on a reduced schedule with a team of girls who are either already committed or who know they won't be playing anymore .... whichever I can find.

I have often dreamed of how that last game is going to go. This post gives me hope. Thanks, Coogan.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Reading CB's thread brought a tear to my eye, I ( like most of you ) have been at those final team meetings many times. As a coach, you prepare yourself practicing that speech a couple of days beforehand, and usually make it through without a hitch. But once you stand in that circle, and look at those sweet dirty faces, memories rush your mind of all the wonderful moments..........your voice cracks and rivers start to flow.

Most of you know I worked with most of our group since they were 4 and 5 year olds. That lasted through rec to travel to middle to high school and 5 currently play college. The hardest speech, the only speech I couldn't make it through was their senior year, after we got eliminated at the state championship. Though I had practiced my lines, having "raised" 8 of those "daughters" for 12 years, I got about 10 words out and my emotions wouldn't allow anymore. I put my hand up, and asked they give me just a minute to pull myself together.

What happened next touches my heart to this day. A couple of girls stood up and came to hug me and the dad's who coached TB, then a couple more, and a couple more, until we were all sobbing like babies. After a minute or two, the ice broke. One girl started laughing about a game/play/event in the past together........"hey remember when ______ did _______"? Then another chimed in, more stories, more laughter. Pretty soon the sadness had faded and joy of past memories took over. I'll never forget it was the players..........who once again........saved me from embarrassment.

Perhaps it's a father/daughter thing, but I think of those 12+ years with the young ladies more than my 25 years playing baseball. They were, and still are, "my girls".

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As a senior in HS my dd is slowly working her way through a series of "lasts" So far it hasn't been too emotional, I know she shed some tears at her last volleyball game, and the last football game with the marching band. But nothing that has really hit DW or me too hard. Even her last TB game wasn't bad as the key girls we have known forever will be on her HS team in the spring. Basketball will probably hit hard as some of those girls she has played sports with since she was 8, then the HS softball team there are several she played with since 8,9 years old. Add in the Band awards night and the last half of the senior year will be tougher then the first half.
I am sure at some point, at some event it will hit us hard that these lasts are forever.

Aug 6, 2013
[video]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ErIHFtEZHhA/UB5ojUXSNaI/AAAAAAAACGU/eA0wS0AhEyA/s1600/crying-indian.gif[/video]
IndiansSingleTear.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Wow! Stuff like this makes me want to just have my daughter quit now, at 9, to ease heartache quick and less painful. Sort of...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad