Amanda Scarborough - on-line training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2018
Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?
My DD is a 14u. She is a good pitcher with alot of potential. We have a great pitching coach who I trust and knows a great deal about mechanics.
The reason I would want the course is for DD to get more of a softball specific workout routine and new drills. She could use something for more speed, she is kinda stuck in the mid 50's.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Haven't used Amanda's online course so can't speak specifically for that but DD and I have kinda followed her for a number of years now. Just yesterday I happened to catch part of a "live" talk she was giving on FB and it just seemed like she has really embraced many of the things regarding mechanics, techniques and drills that we've been taught and discussed often on this site. The "gurus" like Muhlheisen, Hillhouse, Pauly, Tincher, etc, have had an impact. We went to a clinic with her about 7 or 8 yrs ago and while it was good and fun for DD her stuff today seems much better, more specific and refined.

Oct 3, 2019
Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?
My DD is a 14u. She is a good pitcher with alot of potential. We have a great pitching coach who I trust and knows a great deal about mechanics.
The reason I would want the course is for DD to get more of a softball specific workout routine and new drills. She could use something for more speed, she is kinda stuck in the mid 50's.

We are in the same boat, my DD first year 12u and throwing much slower. I signed up mostly in hopes that she will be willing to sit down and study the craft of pitching vs doing what dad and a pitching coach tell her. I’m hoping this will open her eyes to body awareness.

Jan 13, 2020
We are in the same boat, my DD first year 12u and throwing much slower. I signed up mostly in hopes that she will be willing to sit down and study the craft of pitching vs doing what dad and a pitching coach tell her. I’m hoping this will open her eyes to body awareness.

How has the training gone? Was it worth the time and money? Were you able to get some things out of it?

Oct 3, 2019
How has the training gone? Was it worth the time and money? Were you able to get some things out of it?

The content was great! There is a mobile app that the entire course can be viewed through, which is nice. There are strength and conditioning workouts, nutrition plans as well as everything related to the fundamentals of pitching.

I myself greatly benefited from the course. My DD, not so much. She wants to pitch but doesn't fully understand what it takes to be a pitcher. I see her getting passed up by the other girls putting in work and being content in centerfield where she shines at the moment.

The course is slow to start. It is a lot of mental and "feeling" sessions. Once you get past that, it goes fast and there is a lot of information to absorb.

With that said, I would recommend the course to anyone that is interested in pitching. I still look back to the course once a week, minimum. Also, the course is a lifetime login. You can view all of the content as long as the website provider is valid.

Apr 28, 2014
Mid 50s at 14U is not bad. More about strength and body type. IF your DD is average size in height and weight then mid 50's is good!
Was watching our organization practice this past weekend. 45 or so pitchers throw. Most with average to above average mechanics. Most mid 50's 4 or 5 in the 60s. What really stood out were girls who were larger framed or taller who were not throwing hard, or to their potential. Mostly mechanical flaws. My DD threw mid to upper 50's as a 14 year old. She will be 18 in May and she cruises in games around 61-62. Her mechanics are slightly above average. I don't think mid 50's is bad at 14s. If your DD is spotting pitches well and moves the ball around that's actually really good. Scarboro is a small girl, same size as my DD but her legs are so strong. That's where her power comes from. May be a good course but my advice having just gone through it all from hitting spots to NLI day is to have your DD learn to throw a devastating change up. One that she feels comfortable to throw in any count at anytime in the game. Unless she has freakish size mid 50s to low 60s is the right speed. Changing speeds and moving the ball up in the zone are what makes her a complete pitcher. And the ability to do those things will allow her to compete at most levels.
DD struggled with her change up mightily when she was young. One day we learned that Rick Pauley was coming to PA. We drove hours to attend his camp. 5 hours later DD had a change up that got her recruited. Someone told me a while ago that all pitchers who make it have that one thing in common, they have one area of their game that separates them from the rest. Whatever that one thing is for your DD, the sooner she learns what it is and masters it the better!

Nov 17, 2017
We did the Packaged Deal Softball Course When COVID hit and we did some of the other satellite Stuff...it was great - I would wake up each morning and play the vids and they would talk about Game Situations, Nutrition, Mentality, Drills etc.

I think it's amazing - It's probably even more amazing for ppl without access to trainers or a facility. I imagine any kid who sticks with this and gets thru all that work is gonna JUMP up BIG!!! It's a ton of work and very useful.

It's dedication either way that we look for in our kids and I just find it impossible to get my DD to stick this when we also have pitching lessons and practice and hitting and fielding and everything else.

If Your Girl is DEDICATED, excited and Grasps on to Amanda's course that's great!!!!!
If you are, for the most part Sifting thru and finding her the best drills and exercises you can find then maybe not - you can find a lot of that on Youtube

BTW - I found these vids recently for example that I love...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
It depends on your girl.

Mine was 11 at the time and hugely passionate about softball and pitching, but watching videos about it just wasn't the right medium for her. She got distracted and bored too easily. And the mental and attitude stuff is a little mature for her right now. She has zero problem with confidence so all that stuff is just a waste for her. Live instruction works best for her at this time, so that's what we'll focus on.

I also worry about any video training in that they have tons of drills, but I'm of the mind-set that you shouldn't just do every drill because it's a video of a drill. I don't think it's one-size-fits-all and some drills are a waste of time at best and potentially harmful at worst. I think each drill needs to focus on something the player needs to improve, and how does a video (or a little girl or bucket dad) really know which drills to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00