Amanda Scarborough - on-line training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Stuff like this makes me cringe.

These drills are important when pitching against a shot clock.................I guess?

These remind me of those hitting drills you see, where the coach tosses total contact balls in rapid succession as fast as humanly possible, and by the end the kid is swinging like total garbage to try and keep up.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I see her getting passed up by the other girls putting in work and being content in centerfield where she shines at the moment.
Maybe she doesn't want to pitch. One of my DD's loved pitching, the other didn't.
As my DD explained, playing every inning of every game can be a lot more fun than sitting every other game. Of course, it would be great to be a .400 hitter and play every game whether you pitch or not...but, those athletes are pretty rare.

The "pitching game" is completely different game than everyone else is playing. So, if a kid doesn't like the pitching game enough to accept sitting 50% of the time, she isn't going to be a pitcher.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
These drills are important when pitching against a shot clock.................I guess?

These remind me of those hitting drills you see, where the coach tosses total contact balls in rapid succession as fast as humanly possible, and by the end the kid is swinging like total garbage to try and keep up.

I don't like the box around the feet. And, the girls are doing the drill too slow. But, the rapid fire drill is a good drill. It is also fun for the kid.

The drill should have the catcher standing up, the pitcher about 40 feet away. The pitcher throws the ball, the catcher returns the ball as quick as possible, and the pitcher starts her throwing motion as soon as the ball hits her mitt.

The only way for the pitcher to do the drill quickly is for the pitcher to be well balanced. She can't lunge forward at release. If she is doing too much crazy stuff at the beginning of the pitch, she won't get into a rhythm.

More generally, if a kid is really going to be good at pitching, she should be able to do all kinds of crazy things with the ball.

Take golf...the good golfers sometimes play 18 holes with one club. (I'm not a good golfer, so I always have to take a putter with me.)

Why? First, it is fun. Second, it teaches shot making. You have to vary your hand position and swing on almost every shot.

Nov 17, 2017

OK.... HOLD UP. Maybe this should be it's own thread or maybe it has......

I don't love it either BUT.... I'll say this we're on a B Travel team that has a College coach and 2 other coaches who have been at this a while....
They do a number of these "Stamina" drills - 9 Ball, weighted vests, Rapid throw from distant cones etc etc etc.... I assumed this was pretty normal.

They do drills that make this look like nothing.

And I feel like I'm going to agree with you, I feel- Get your Endurance, strength and agility training with that Trainer

and when you are pitching keep perfect form and pitch.

I see too many kids straining, going all out on pitching drills with complete lack of form....

Apr 28, 2014
OK.... HOLD UP. Maybe this should be it's own thread or maybe it has......

I don't love it either BUT.... I'll say this we're on a B Travel team that has a College coach and 2 other coaches who have been at this a while....
They do a number of these "Stamina" drills - 9 Ball, weighted vests, Rapid throw from distant cones etc etc etc.... I assumed this was pretty normal.

They do drills that make this look like nothing.

And I feel like I'm going to agree with you, I feel- Get your Endurance, strength and agility training with that Trainer

and when you are pitching keep perfect form and pitch.

I see too many kids straining, going all out on pitching drills with complete lack of form....

DD pitching for 10 years still has mechanical breakdowns when doing rapid fire drills. Especially when racing to beat another pitcher or the clock. I'm not a fan I do like sprints for stamina.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog