Alternate Ball for 5-8th graders.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The safety issue is mixing the ages of the players, NOT the ball. Every time you have to make a compromise (such as broadening the eligibility criteria so you can field a team), you will have to make other compromises. In the end you have to decide whether all the compromises are worth the effort to play.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
The girls need to be seperated but even then they should not change the ball to a 'softie' or training ball. The girls should be playing with a real, hard, softball. 5th grade is not too young for them to play the game with real equipment. Here our 7-8 use a hard 11" ball in pitching machine, our 9-10s pitch an 11" ball and at 11-12 and up they use a 12" ball. I moved my DD (4th grade) up to play with the 11-12s (5-7th grade) and I have no fear about the age difference. I think the sooner they are playing 'real softball' the better off they will be... Provided they can compete at that level.

Mar 13, 2015
Have you guys looked into the Worth RIF balls? For 6u and 8u, we use 10" Worth RIF balls. For 10u, we use 11" Worth RIF balls. Turns out they make a 12" version as well: Worth 12" NCAA Training RIF Fastpitch Softball | DICK'S Sporting Goods

From experience and from reading the reviews, there's a little "bounce" in these balls, but they are the same size and weight as regular 12" balls. Maybe this is a good compromise.

I believe these were the balls we used in fall ball as a trial. I could live with it but all the other coaches hated the bounce. I'm heading to dicks in a bit to look at options.

As for the masks the 3 out of 5 coaches who wanted the regular ball all said we would be for mandating masks for the infield. it didnt help our argument.

Feb 3, 2011
and then 8th graders who are close to hitting dead center 200 ft HRs.
If you've got girls hitting shots like that, they probably don't belong in rec. By 5th grade, typical softball players are capable of playing with the 12" ball. I prefer the 11" ball for that age, but the 12" would be fine in the situation you describe.

Personally I feel that we should mandate masks in the infield and use the normal ball.

"Yes" to using a real ball, but an emphatic "NO" to mandating masks. Suggest them, but do not mandate them.

Apr 29, 2014
Our Middle School team is comprised of 6th - 8th graders of all skill levels. We have some girls that have never held a bat before and are just learning the game to seasoned travel ball players. We play with 12" "real" softballs and the girls are strongly encouraged to wear defensive masks especially if playing in the infield positions. We are fortunate to have enough girls to divide the group into "A" and "B" teams with some girls that "float" between the two teams. The "B" kids are the less skilled and concentrate on learning the basics. The "A" kids are the more experienced and work on more advanced play. It has worked out really well for our kids and we have had no issues.

Mar 13, 2015
"Yes" to using a real ball said:
Momo why do you say "no" to mandating. Just curious.

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually found a lower compression traditional ball today that I'm going to present to them. I have a feeling the one coach will still be totally against it but we all agreed to compromise....so let's see how that goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie