Already talking about leaving????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2010
How would you address a 12U athlete that is already talking to some of her teammates about leaving the team after this summer season? She is trying to sway at least one player to leave with her already. At 12, would you start with the parents, or go direct to the source.

I would never discourage a player/parent from leaving if that is what they think is best, however, I'd like to nip this in the bud, before she becomes a team tumor. Our summer season is still 45 days away and we have enough athletes without her, should she decide to leave.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Nip it in the bud before it becomes a cancer. Most 12 year olds are parents puppets.

A meeting should be called immediately including player, parents and coaching staff.

Nov 27, 2010
I agree that it is probably the parents talking. She has played over the winter for another team in a dome league. I'm sure the grass is greener over there.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Gone. If they cannot respect the coaches enough to keep it to themselves until they finish their commitment to the team's season then they opened the door. If you have enough players then I would go through the door and give them what they are asking for. :mad:

May 10, 2010
Dump em. I have seen what you describe happen before. One set of parents will become two and so on. The next thing you know the parents feel they are in control. Good Luck!

Nov 27, 2010
You are all confirming what the other coaches and I feel as well. I'm taking the 24 hour composure rule and plan on addressing it with the parents either tonight or tomorrow. Thank you. Without today's texting and Facebook communications this probably never would have surfaced until summer had started. I probably should have seen this coming since she's been at very few practices over the winter with pretty weak reasons.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
And you mention another thing.....Facebook....Why do parents not realize that we all live in a small world in this the internet age? Every time they post on FB or start complaining around team events or others who are close to the team that they will be called out by those who are concerned. Eyes are everywhere and by nature parents all want to protect their place on a team so when they see of hear something negative they will pass it along to coaches in hopes that it helps their "loyalty" factor a bit. BTW it does make a difference with me because it keeps me from being blind sided when we have other happy players to keep on the field. Good luck. This is NEVER easy to do. But it is ALWAYS worth the doing in the end. You must run the team based on your vision for the team and to keep it on track you cannot let one family become a cancer within the entire group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild