Almost got ejected from a game this afternoon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
For whatever reason the strike zone at my 4:15 game became smaller than my ex-wife's heart. DD was in the circle and blue was only calling strikes mid-thigh to belly button. After a couple of knee high and chest high pitches were called balls I commented out of frustration, "That would have been a strike in my town". I guess blue heard me, pulled off the mask and said, "That is it, you are out of here". Fortunately the base ump had a cooler head and was able to calm the plate ump down. Got a warning and told next comment I was out.

Oct 18, 2009
There must be something in the air. Last weekend my daughter's coach was ejected for questioning a call on a steal home. Coach has been coaching for 15 years......this was the first time ever to be ejected.

Oct 19, 2009
Umpires have super human hearing.

Last year I had my back to the umpire who was a good 15 feet behind me. I was talking to my wife after another bad call and said the one word "homer" in what I thought was a normal speaking tone (with noise from kids all around us). I was dumbfounded she heard me because she said "would you like to stay and finish this game?" Had no choice but to apologize.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
For whatever reason the strike zone at my 4:15 game became smaller than my ex-wife's heart. DD was in the circle and blue was only calling strikes mid-thigh to belly button. After a couple of knee high and chest high pitches were called balls I commented out of frustration, "That would have been a strike in my town".

Stupid comment, but you left out an important issue. Were the pitches across the plate and how could you tell that from wherever you were sitting/standing?

I guess blue heard me, pulled off the mask and said, "That is it, you are out of here". Fortunately the base ump had a cooler head and was able to calm the plate ump down. Got a warning and told next comment I was out.

Quick trigger, but the BU was out of place and the "next comment I was out" is one of the stupidest conditions any sports official can place on anyone.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Quick trigger, but the BU was out of place and the "next comment I was out" is one of the stupidest conditions any sports official can place on anyone.

"Next comment"? Nah, "one more word and you're gone" takes the cake. Then what do you do if the coach goes to say "I'm sorry"? Well, that's a word; you're gone.

Mar 15, 2010
Stupid comment, but you left out an important issue. Were the pitches across the plate and how could you tell that from wherever you were sitting/standing?

I have 4 coaches on my team. 2 in the dugout with me, 1 keeping stats, 1 behind the plate tracking pitch count and heat map. Coach behind the plate confirmed the small strike zone.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pitching is about a pitcher adapting to the umpire's strike zone. While the strike zone may have been wrong, it is up to your DD (not you) to adapt and put the ball where the umpire is demanding it. If your DD is to become a good pitcher, she has to be able to adapt.

I wasn't any better than you at that age, but:

Take a look at the entire dynamics of the game and what happened when you started complaining the strike zone. The game became something different, and it became more about you than about your DD.

You created an excuse for your DD. I.e., she wasn't walking batters because she couldn't perform at a level the game demanded (which is the truth), she was walking batters because the umpire was bad.

To put it another way, "you weren't dumb, the teacher just asked questions you didn't know the answers for."

Last edited:
May 10, 2010
Know how you feel. I almost got ejected for asking the catcher where my DD was missing. Had to remind umpire I was not questioning his call. Between innings asked umpire how do I get pitcher to adjust if I can not ask catcher. He agreed and said he got caught up in the moment. I tell my DD throw to the umpires strike zone not what she or any one else thinks it is.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, there is problem number one. Team personnel are permitted on the field and in the dugout/team area.

As an umpire, I would have moved your coach back into the team area or the parking lot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06