A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
We had an ump who called the batters out if they made any motion that wasn't directly toward 1b. Literally as soon a batter took one step backwards he'd call her out.
Maybe trying to enforce 8-2-H in USA that says ”When a batter-runner steps back towards home to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder” the ball is dead and the batter-runner is out?

Nov 18, 2015
Maybe trying to enforce 8-2-H in USA that says ”When a batter-runner steps back towards home to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder” the ball is dead and the batter-runner is out?
Thanks for replying to this - when I first read it, I assumed it was in reference to the D3K situation that was quoted where the batter just stood there - but you're right, this could have been the correct ruling IF there was a (tag) play being made on the runner. IIRC, MLB/OBR is the only ruleset that allows the BR to retreat (see also: Javy Baez - 2021(?)).

My favorite part of this rule (and my "bucket list" includes getting to benefit from this call at least once before I retire from coaching!) is that as part of the dead ball, all runners return to their base at time of pitch.

May 27, 2022
Thanks for replying to this - when I first read it, I assumed it was in reference to the D3K situation that was quoted where the batter just stood there - but you're right, this could have been the correct ruling IF there was a (tag) play being made on the runner. IIRC, MLB/OBR is the only ruleset that allows the BR to retreat (see also: Javy Baez - 2021(?)).

My favorite part of this rule (and my "bucket list" includes getting to benefit from this call at least once before I retire from coaching!) is that as part of the dead ball, all runners return to their base at time of pitch.

I like that.

My umpire bucket list is to be able to call it at least one in my career! ;)

Oct 24, 2010

Runners return to the last base touched at the
... time of the interference. (USA 8.2.H, NFHS 8-2-5)
... time of the pitch. (NCAA)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014

You are correct, it was in reference to a D3K. If the batter did anything other than run directly to 1b, he called her. The batter wasn't trying to avoid a tag, she just didn't realize it was a D3K right away.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Did a 14u USA tournament this weekend. The state of things today, we did the whole thing (12 teams), with just 4 umps. The semis had 2, the finals we did 3-man, but everything else was solo. So we all did 4 or 5 games Sat, and 3 or 4 games today.

Fortunately it was (in my opinion) 4 of the best umps in our region (breaking my arm patting myself on the back). We had zero issues, lots of compliments, and generally solid games.

That’s a lot of umping though. I know there are guys who brag about doing 7 or 8 games a day at some of these complexes. But damn it’s rough on the body doing 5 plates in a day.

All this to say, it wasn’t the tournament cheaping out, it was that umps weren’t available. This weekend it worked out, but it’s thin ice running tournaments that way.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Did a 14u USA tournament this weekend. The state of things today, we did the whole thing (12 teams), with just 4 umps. The semis had 2, the finals we did 3-man, but everything else was solo. So we all did 4 or 5 games Sat, and 3 or 4 games today.

Fortunately it was (in my opinion) 4 of the best umps in our region (breaking my arm patting myself on the back). We had zero issues, lots of compliments, and generally solid games.

That’s a lot of umping though. I know there are guys who brag about doing 7 or 8 games a day at some of these complexes. But damn it’s rough on the body doing 5 plates in a day.

All this to say, it wasn’t the tournament cheaping out, it was that umps weren’t available. This weekend it worked out, but it’s thin ice running tournaments that way.
Thanks for working games, because softball needs people like you.

At least it wasn't a 90-degree summer day, which had to help a little bit.

May 27, 2022
Did 10 games this weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) 12B & 14B. Only one solo game which was uneventful...

- Had a newbie partner that was a High School Head Soccer Coach. Did a good job, but I asked why he didn't ref soccer games - told me that he would end up coaching them instead of officiating. :ROFLMAO:

- Had one player obstruct second with her knee and took a cleat into the side of her knee. Terrible technique and she ended up in tears for a couple minutes she was able to return. I warned the coach that was the second time she was in the way and probably something to work on.

- Had a passed ball at home that, in a bad attempt to get out of the way, the batter moved toward the pitcher's circle. Pitcher had to run around her so I called the runner out on interference for out #3. Third base coach walked past and smiled a little and told me he knew that call was coming with what his batter did. I told him just one more lesson for players to learn to be able to play the game better.

- Had one grandpa (~80) ask why I didn't call an infield fly. I asked if there was less than 2 outs - Yup. I asked if there was 2 girls on base - nope - then he got it. Very polite question and he learned something. I never mind a good question like that. At medium and lower levels, Parents/coaches/players are still learning the game. I don't do it for HS games, but in travel ball I believe think that explaining situations helps them grow their understanding and hopefully avoid future issues.

- My plate partner 'missed' an infield fly (different game) after which another 6 runs scored and put the game out of reach. But I don't think anyone realized it but me and we played on.

- I had one coach that kept trying to get his catcher to slide her glove to the center of the plate in an attempt to get more strikes. We talked after the game. I told him that 'officially' moving the glove won't help. But, as a catcher's dad, if you want to help the umpire, catch the ball as far forward as possible. The farther back you catch it, the more it travels away from the plate and, if you want to help the ump, try to catch it before it gets farther laterally than it needs to. He didn't seem to know a lot about good catching techniques. Probably told him more than I should have, but wanted to give him some help to help his catchers.

- And some really good catchers, but a couple that were really far back away from the plate. To me, that makes it harder for me to be comfortable with my calls.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
- Had a passed ball at home that, in a bad attempt to get out of the way, the batter moved toward the pitcher's circle. Pitcher had to run around her so I called the runner out on interference for out #3.

What rule set? I do mostly USA so it’s what I’m most familiar with - in USA, if the batter interferes, it’s always the batter who is out, regardless of number of outs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802