Allister Departing Minnesota for Stanford

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Jun 8, 2016
Yes a great school and the weather is nice. But talking to the folks who work here the cost of living, taxes, and fees are oppressive.

They also have one of the best public school districts in the state/country...if that means anything to you. Can't have everything...

Jun 8, 2016
Most of the folks who work here sure as hell do not live here.

Also not sure how cost of living, taxes, etc are relative to why a kid would go to school/play softball at Stanford. Doesn't stop kids from going to school at Berkeley, CalTech, MIT,Harvard,Tufts,...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Also not sure how cost of living, taxes, etc are relative to why a kid would go to school/play softball at Stanford. Doesn't stop kids from going to school at Berkeley, CalTech, MIT,Harvard,Tufts,...

Very few athletes are on a full athletic scholarship. The high cost of living and taxes present an additional hurdle when you have to come out of pocket for a good portion of the costs.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes a great school and the weather is nice. But talking to the folks who work here the cost of living, taxes, and fees are oppressive.

Funny...people I talk to love it in bay area--which is why the COL is so high.

Rise...I don't understand your animosity toward Stanford.

Stanford is a great school...it is always ranked in the Top 10 of all schools in the US. It is much better academically than any school in the SEC (and miles ahead of Ohio U).

If a kid has a choice between Stanford and Alabama...you have to be honest with the kid. The likelihood of winning a softball championship at Stanford is lower than Alabama, but the degree will be worth more.

Softball players have no future in softball. Unless a kid is the second-coming of Monica Abbott, the kid should go to the best academic school she can get into.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Kind of wondering what kind of contract she got. I know MN was offering her some type raise and extension about 2/3rds of the way into last season.

I thought it was interesting the release from the U said they offered her a contract making her “one of the highest paid coaches in the Big Ten”. I’m curious how close they were to being THE highest. After the NCAA snub that might have been enough to say to he!! With the Gophers. .

Nov 18, 2013
I wonder if Sydney Smith (P, transfer from LSU) was privy to this news before committing to transfer?

Smith had committed before the Stanford job became available. She didn't know and I doubt Allister did either.

Jun 8, 2016
Funny...people I talk to love it in bay area--which is why the COL is so high.

Stanford is a great school...it is always ranked in the Top 10 of all schools in the US. It is much better academically than any school in the SEC (and miles ahead of Ohio U).

I.

Not sure if Ohio U was in reference to my mention of OU but OU was actually referring to University of Oklahoma where I teach. Also, based upon his tax reference, I have a feeling his
animosity isn't towards Stanford specifically but is more about how some people in this country view elite academic institutions....

May 4, 2016
I had a conversation similar to this with my 12 year old DD last night on the way to her catching lesson. I asked her if in the unlikely event you got offered softball scholarships to Auburn, Oregon(her two favorite college teams) and Harvard, which would she choose. Without hesitation she said Harvard. Made me proud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32