Allister Departing Minnesota for Stanford

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Not sure if Ohio U was in reference to my mention of OU but OU was actually referring to University of Oklahoma where I teach. Also, based upon his tax reference, I have a feeling his
animosity isn't towards Stanford specifically but is more about how some people in this country view elite academic institutions....

Or how elite academic folks show disdain for those beneath them.

Jul 5, 2016
Going to a good university is important, but I have come to the realization that personal attributes are more important - attitude, work ethic, friendliness, etc.. So, I would said that Kacey Cooper, for example, studying engineering at Auburn, will do just fine. If my daughter was good enough to play for Oklahoma and had the desire, I would say go for the championship and we'll figure out the rest later.

Jun 8, 2016
Or how elite academic folks show disdain for those beneath them.

Interesting that you think this is what riseball is referring to..don't see that at all :rolleyes:

If this was somehow a slight at me then I am not sure what in my comments would make you think
I have disdain for anybody. I am simply giving my (N=1) opinion on the matter of choosing a University based upon
what I have seen both from being a student and from being a professor.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Going to a good university is important, but I have come to the realization that personal attributes are more important - attitude, work ethic, friendliness, etc..

I said as much. If you have a highly motivated kid who is able to put blinders on it really doesn't matter what school they go to. However if you have a kid who may not be able to separate themselves from the average
environment of a University then being in an environment with a bunch of overachievers is helpful.

Apr 12, 2013
Smith had committed before the Stanford job became available. She didn't know and I doubt Allister did either.

Several knew on the 11th the job was open. It's a pretty close timeline here. Not trying to "counter", just laying some timeline out there. Not sure of the exact time of departure from Stanford and LSU respectively, but I bet pretty darn close. Regardless of when I was notified, I still suspect Allister was under contract w/Minnesota and doing everything above board as a Gopher. I also think she (Sydney) is going where she wants to go, Minnesota.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
I said as much. If you have a highly motivated kid who is able to put blinders on it really doesn't matter what school they go to. However if you have a kid who may not be able to separate themselves from the average
environment of a University then being in an environment with a bunch of overachievers is helpful.

Yes - I benefited greatly from Cornell for this very reason.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Funny...people I talk to love it in bay area--which is why the COL is so high.

Rise...I don't understand your animosity toward Stanford.

Stanford is a great school...it is always ranked in the Top 10 of all schools in the US. It is much better academically than any school in the SEC (and miles ahead of Ohio U).

If a kid has a choice between Stanford and Alabama...you have to be honest with the kid. The likelihood of winning a softball championship at Stanford is lower than Alabama, but the degree will be worth more.

Softball players have no future in softball. Unless a kid is the second-coming of Monica Abbott, the kid should go to the best academic school she can get into.

Have no animosity toward Stanford. If I did I would not be working for them. My point was that someone who chooses Stanford is placing academics before softball. If you have a choice between two schools, Stanford or a top softball school you do not choose Stanford if your priority is an all expense paid trip to OKC.

Jun 8, 2016
My point was that someone who chooses Stanford is placing academics before softball. If you have a choice between two schools, Stanford or a top softball school you do not choose Stanford if your priority is an all expense paid trip to OKC.
At the moment I agree with this statement. I do not agree with someone basing their college decision this way nor do I agree that your quoted statement will always be the case for Stanford with the right coach in place.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
a) attend the best school you can for your intended major, and play softball if you can also make that team?

or

b) attend the school with the best softball team that will have you, and worry about a quality education later as a grad student?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
a) attend the best school you can for your intended major, and play softball if you can also make that team?

or

b) attend the school with the best softball team that will have you, and worry about a quality education later as a grad student?

This is what I tell all my players. Neither answer is right or wrong. Just need to find where you fit in and make the most of the experience. SC is not exactly a top academic school, but playing softball in the SEC has already opened many doors for Jake that otherwise would not have been possible.

An education is only part of the equation for success. There is much more to it than a GPA and a degree.

https://time.com/money/4779223/valedictorian-success-research-barking-up-wrong/

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi