Alliance Fastpitch Champs vs PGF Nationals..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Same model!
Better or lessor teams play in different 'titled' events.
Alliance by a points system.
Difference is you have to earn your points by winning games. The main complaint I have is at the younger ages they are awarding points for wins in pool. Enough coaches put winning above all else at this age and I am afraid this might get rid of (some) coaches moving kids around, pitching kids who might not be "bracket-ready", etc. Overall I think it is a pretty good idea but it won't amount to anything unless the big boys buy-in.

My guess is that PGF is sweating a bit right now since if teams (without automatic bids) don't decide they want to play in their Nationals they also won't be playing in their qualifier events.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So many So Cal teams are going to hang out and wait for the invitation at large berth for pgf next summer. Not a bad deal for me. Sleep at home and drive 15 minutes to the fields. Pool parties and BBQs at home. IF PGF even happens! (50-50, IMO)

Jun 8, 2016
Somewhat on topic:

Also somwhat applies to the "big-boys" in TB and College SB..(I actually applied to Duke for graduate school to work with this guy but he didn't have any openings so I ended up working with some else :p )

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
... The main complaint I have is at the younger ages they are awarding points for wins in pool. Enough coaches put winning above all else at this age and I am afraid this might get rid of (some) coaches moving kids around, pitching kids who might not be "bracket-ready", etc. ...

This has been the hang up for Olivia's coach so far. He doesn't love the idea of being forced to worry about winning pool games.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Difference is you have to earn your points by winning games. The main complaint I have is at the younger ages they are awarding points for wins in pool. Enough coaches put winning above all else at this age and I am afraid this might get rid of (some) coaches moving kids around, pitching kids who might not be "bracket-ready", etc. Overall I think it is a pretty good idea but it won't amount to anything unless the big boys buy-in.

My guess is that PGF is sweating a bit right now since if teams (without automatic bids) don't decide they want to play in their Nationals they also won't be playing in their qualifier events.
Ok earn points.

Like earning a spot in tourny by winning or losing in pool to get into gold bracket or silver, bronze copper tin aluminum recylcled plastic...

Or
How pgf started with qualify for nationals...
Then went to handing out invites...

Its the same movie with different actors, coming to a theatre near you!

Jun 8, 2016
Ok earn points.

Like earning a spot in tourny by winning or losing in pool to get into gold bracket or silver, bronze copper tin aluminum recylcled plastic...

Or
How pgf started with qualify for nationals...
Then went to handing out invites...

Its the same movie with different actors, coming to a theatre near you!
Don't shoot the messenger, wasn't my idea :ROFLMAO:

I grew up playing in things where if you wanted to play in the National events you had to win your local event, then the state event, then the regional event. The only possible bias was the selection of the initial team (when the team was an All Star team like Little League or Pony). I like that idea.. 🤷‍♂️

There will still be some bias towards teams with more economic resources since it does cost something to enter the Alliance and Regional Leagues but I don't think it is that costly(team cost +$45 kid and $50 per coach for HFL...not sure about Alliance joining fee)

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How does roster shuffling fit in?
Is this one roster from beginning til end or what?
New roster players change so then points dont follow team?

Jun 8, 2016
This has been the hang up for Olivia's coach so far. He doesn't love the idea of being forced to worry about winning pool games.
I am not certain, but I don't think you earn the same amount of points for pool as bracket but you do earn something. I don't think Marcela's team has joined as of yet, even though Brian is an HFL organizer, at least I haven't seen a charge to our account for it. Of course if you are likely to earn zero points (can you get negative points??) it probably won't be worth it.. :LOL:

Mar 28, 2014
I agree with him. Because of that very thing I don't think it's a great idea for teams under 14u where development should be the #1 goal. But for older girls I like it because it makes those usually boring pool games actually have some meaning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13