All about the benjamins !!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I have heard of this, but I cant believe it. Has anyone ever been charged for travel ball tryouts? Or does anyone here charge a fee? Just curious whats the going rate, and why do you charge for tryouts?

Jun 24, 2013
It stops players from wasting your time, if they spend the effort to provide an evaluation after tryouts it is probably worth it. Depends on the cost.

Some established organizations do this.

Dec 26, 2010
I dont know why but I have seen $25 for early registration and 35 for just showing up

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have seem a few SB programs charge 15 or so for the tryout. Not sure if you get the written evaluation but it would seem worth it if you did. I do see a number of AAU BB teams getting tryout money and expect they need to pay for the gym or keep the lookie loos out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was surprised to learn that girls go to tryouts just to practice and see what tryouts are like. They have no intention of joining your team. So, as the coach told me, it keeps the riff raff out.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The local gold team ( for which I hold in low regard ), charges $500 for the tryouts. The way it was explained to me is if you don't make the team, you get $250 worth of lessons from the staff. ( they run an indoor facility ) And if you paid this year and didn't make it, you get some type of discount if you choose to try out again next season..............after your lessons.

Oh, and seemed like "if" you were a student for X amount of time, you stood a better chance of making the team. Yea, one big money scam.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Most organizations in this area do not charge a fee for a tryout. The ones that do tend to be affiliated with an indoor facility, and the going rate seems to be about $20.

I actually don't mind a kid showing up at my tryouts for "practice". You never know when one of them might actually find that your team is a better fit for them than their original team.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wow, imagine expecting the team and staff to do their job of scouting and evaluating players to determine qualifications.

What happens if players only try out for organizations have no fee?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs