All about the benjamins !!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I can see small fees of $5 - $25 dollars as reasonable tryout cost. To cover facilities and weed out the disinterested. But the fees that goingdeep describe. Sheesh. That's some hutzpah.

Jul 26, 2010
There's only one team around here that charges for tryouts, which is funny, because it's one of those teams that if you actually have to try out for, it means they're taking your money while you ride pine to finance another kid. If they want you they'll come to you.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The local gold team ( for which I hold in low regard ), charges $500 for the tryouts. The way it was explained to me is if you don't make the team, you get $250 worth of lessons from the staff. ( they run an indoor facility ) And if you paid this year and didn't make it, you get some type of discount if you choose to try out again next season..............after your lessons.

Oh, and seemed like "if" you were a student for X amount of time, you stood a better chance of making the team. Yea, one big money scam.

I read this this morning and I can't shake the idea out of my mind. My entire fee this year was $600. It included weekly winter hitting sessions with 2 coaches in a private location.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I read this this morning and I can't shake the idea out of my mind.

It took me about 30 seconds to shake the idea ( of trying out ) out of my head. The gold coach and I have butted heads a few times in the younger age groups, years ago.

Despite how I feel, the program is a good feeder to a few top colleges in the region and sends a high % of players to the next level.

Jul 2, 2013
There's only one team around here that charges for tryouts, which is funny, because it's one of those teams that if you actually have to try out for, it means they're taking your money while you ride pine to finance another kid. If they want you they'll come to you.

-W

Softball is changing my friends. The "super" org's have a strong rooting in money. They want to go "national" and have a group of coaches, staff, who get paid every single time they step on the field (plus travel, hotels, meals). Their interests shift elsewhere, like getting enough money. Sure they help a bunch of players get to college, no denying it.

But college's are also very good at finding the best talent wherever they may be. At least half of the players on super travel teams are marginal, are there to get the best opportunity, and paying a bunch of money to support the org.

The GOOD players get "found". The marginal players PAY to get found.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have heard of some organizations charging for tryouts to prevent "tire kickers" or unqualified players from showing up. I know one organization that would "grade" players during tryouts and if a player graded about a certain level they were refunded their money if they were not offered a spot. If the player is offered a spot and accepts, the tryout money is applied towards their team dues. It they are offered a spot and decline there is no refund.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell