Akadema AJB74 12"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Just picked one up on EBay new for $55. I have read a lot of good things about it, unfortunately I couldn't find one in my local sporting goods store to have my DD tryout. She is moving up to 10U this fall and her primary position is catcher, due to the 10U rules pertaining to home plate I'm not sure she will be behind the plate too much until she gets a better grasp of the rules. Her secondary position is undetermined and I assume she will play a lot of outfield.

This is the first higher end glove I have gotten for her, what should I expect as far as durability and care. Is this a glove that i should expect to last her a couple seasons? Did I get the right glove or did I jump on it too early? Her current fielding glove is an 11" Wilson Web glove that I got 2 years ago for $40 from Sports Chalet and it feels like a rag now. She didn't need it much the last 3 seasons of rec because she has been the primary catcher and has 2 catchers mitt (Mizuno Franchise and Easton Elite). Sorry if you guys have already touched on this subject, any feedback (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One thing that I do to preserve my glove (because I love it), is wear a batting glove or similar (even a small kitchen sponge) in it. It absorbs all of the sweat from my hand and it keeps the inside of the glove from cracking. Then, I just wash that filthy thing from time to time.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
One thing that I do to preserve my glove (because I love it), is wear a batting glove or similar (even a small kitchen sponge) in it. It absorbs all of the sweat from my hand and it keeps the inside of the glove from cracking. Then, I just wash that filthy thing from time to time.

I never thought of that.

Jun 24, 2013
Yes, it should last her at least few years.

There are a few threads on breaking in gloves on the board, this is one of them:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...ight-wrong-ways.html?highlight=breaking+glove

DD used the slow method of oiling it and having a catch, it has never been worn by an adult.

She will be uncomfortable with it for a little while but it will slowly get better and better. She might need to use her old glove in games for a little while still until it is broken in a little bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01