Advice to parents during the child's first year of college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a parent, you have to lead and keep your child focused on priorities. Therefore, start every conversation with, "How are your classes? How are your grades?"

The college coach is there to take care of your child with respect to softball. You should focus on what is really important: Your child's education.

Go the games and enjoy them, but don't talk about softball unless she brings it up.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I put this up in another spot answering a similar issue. The parents certainly seemed to appreciate it and several sent the response immediatley to their DD's:

1. DO NOT SKIP CLASS.
2. READ THE CHAPTER IN THE BOOK YOU WILL BE DISCUSSING IN CLASS AHEAD OF TIME. This way you actually have some idea of what is being discussed. You have some understanding of the topic and can ask intelligent questions about things you didn't understand.
3. Reread your class notes the same day you took them - this refreshes in your mind what you read and heard in class.
4. Do your homework - don't blow it off.
5. You can never take enough writing or public speaking classes. These will benefit you most in the work world.
6. Study 20-30 minutes per night for each class so you don't fall behind and have to cram for exams....cramming is awful, stressful and fatiguing.

If freshman do only any two of these 6, they will be ahead of their peers. I was a junior when I figured this all out...college was much easier following these simple rules - going from your very average college student to graduating with Honors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy