Advice to college coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
This kid is not guaranteed to play at UCLA, right? Between now and the time she gets there, UCLA can decide to not take her, right? Yippee for her, but does it really mean much?

Mar 6, 2009
Amen... Amen... Amen...

The whole early verbal and recruiting nonsense needs to stop. The only way for it to happen is for the NCAA to step in and do something. But I doubt the revenue sports would not allow it to happen. They have their systems in place for legally circumventing the current set of recruiting rules.

I think the easiest way for it to stop would be for opposing coaches to start actually marketing/selling early signed players to play for their school. To me, just get on the verbal list, find each school that has "signed" 4 pitchers from the same class and call each of them. Invite them to your school for a private small group lesson at their cost. Personally, if I was a college coach, I would use the master verbal list as my prospect list. Increase the level of competition for players among the schools versus "regulating" the schools behavior. Right now the power is at the school versus player level. If you made the schools compete like they are doing to attract the general population student it would be much better.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This kid is not guaranteed to play at UCLA, right? Between now and the time she gets there, UCLA can decide to not take her, right? Yippee for her, but does it really mean much?

Until she signs her NLI she has nothing other than good intentions. Failing to make the cut and sign at UCLA she can always pave a road. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi