Adduction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Working with DD on a fast, loose and whippy arm. Now how do you guys describe adduction without it being a muscled (slow) action? At least that's how I feel it. Trying to speed up the whip.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sometimes it does slow things down as they first try it. Most times, they see an immediate increase in speed. I just start with saying "up together/down together" and demo what I want. Pull the arms and thighs into the midline at release.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Love her arm circle!

How old is she?
What's her current max velocity?
How's her brush assist?

Also, while I believe the arm should be whippy (loose), I'm not sure the "without being muscled" is correct when one looks at the adduction action in its entirety. No, I do NOT believe the arm should feel muscled, but adduction (i.e., sucking the arms inward) would require some serious muscling in the deltoid, trapezius and latissimus dorsi. How do you suck the arms into the body without muscling with these muscles?

Ken Krause wrote a good article in this regard a while back... https://fastpitchlane.softballsuccess.com/2009/11/26/using-the-big-muscles-in-pitching/

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Working with DD on a fast, loose and whippy arm. Now how do you guys describe adduction without it being a muscled (slow) action? At least that's how I feel it. Trying to speed up the whip.

Long toss prior will help get her really loose. Jake calls her arm her noodle. Want it loose as cooked spaghetti. Have to say she looks pretty good. Great job!

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Love her arm circle!

How old is she?
What's her current max velocity?
How's her brush assist?

Also, while I believe the arm should be whippy (loose), I'm not sure the "without being muscled" is correct when one looks at the adduction action in its entirety. No, I do NOT believe the arm should feel muscled, but adduction (i.e., sucking the arms inward) would require some serious muscling in the deltoid, trapezius and latissimus dorsi. How do you suck the arms into the body without muscling with these muscles?

Ken Krause wrote a good article in this regard a while back... https://fastpitchlane.softballsuccess.com/2009/11/26/using-the-big-muscles-in-pitching/

Just turned 15. Last winter 53 on the pocket radar. She brushes well, right down to her hand. Now, the muscled part is what I have a problem with. I throw with her regularly, learned right along with her. When I try to throw fast, with adduction, I can feel my arm and shoulder tightening along with the muscles along my sides. Not loose like you would want. This turns into a slamming type brush rather than a wrap and roll like it should be. For me anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs