A year into the journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Definitely improving. When did she start bringing her arm across her body on the follow through?

She is rushing her backswing...it is bad in golf and it is bad pitching.

She is trying to get into the proper position to begin her bodies forward motion. Try to get her to slow down on the backswing and focus on getting her body and arm in a consistent position to begin the forward arm movement.

Jan 14, 2020
Definitely improving. When did she start bringing her arm across her body on the follow through?

She is trying to get into the proper position to begin her bodies forward motion. Try to get her to slow down on the backswing and focus on getting her body and arm in a consistent position to begin the forward arm movement.
She started doing it when we talked about her overhand mechanics and follow through, not whipping her hand back when she would play long toss overhand. I don't know if it will transfer to live pitching, since we have solely been working on her brush and making that wet noodle go. She showed me a video of another DD throwing, we watched it 20x i bet... lol... you could see the acceleration of the DD's arm and the explosion from 10 o'clockish to release. I'll throw slowing down that back swing and see if it sticks... lol... she's 10, so it should stick right away... right after a tik tok dance... thanks again @sluggers

Mar 28, 2014

Lots of PC's, including Java, are proponents of short quick backswings. What issues do you have with them?

Aug 21, 2008
Lots of PC's, including Java, are proponents of short quick backswings. What issues do you have with them?

Short or long backswing, there are 3.. potentially 4 reasons which I've stated before. But without the need to rehash those, what would the purpose be of the short backswing? The purpose of a "backswing" (if you believe in that) is the gain momentum going forward. No? Otherwise what would the point be? If you're not using the backswing (long or short) for momentum purposes then all you're doing is straightening the arm and exposing the ball/grip without any other purpose. What am I missing?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I'm agnostic as to backswings. A backswing is like an appendix...it has no real use, but most people have one.

Almost every male pitcher does not use a back swing. Several top female pitchers don't use one. Even this kid didn't use a backswing on her last pitch, and her last pitch was as good as the others.

As to this particular kid, she hurries her backswing and that sometimes interferes withgetting her body into the correct position to throw.

As far the PCs recommending a short, quick backswing...apparently Abbott, Osterman, Scarborough, Finch, Garcia, and Jaurez didn't get the memo.

Aug 21, 2008
As far the PCs recommending a short, quick backswing...apparently Abbott, Osterman, Scarborough, Finch, Garcia, and Jaurez didn't get the memo.

Why recommend a "short one"? Why not, go big or go home? A short back swing has NONE of the benefits of the longer one, but all the potentially bad results.

I can argue with a degree of intelligence against NO backswing but, I understand why people do them (especially the long ones). Doing a short swing gives none of the "advantages" as a longer one but has all of the consequences.

I still always go back to the simple question, although it's growing more and more outdated so I need to update my names. If your kid was going face Crystal Bustos at the plate, would you want her to know what pitch is coming? Adjust that name with Lauren Chamberlin, Jess Mendoza or anyone your kid thinks is the best women's fastpitch hitter.

Jan 14, 2020
Why recommend a "short one"? Why not, go big or go home? A short back swing has NONE of the benefits of the longer one, but all the potentially bad results.

I can argue with a degree of intelligence against NO backswing but, I understand why people do them (especially the long ones). Doing a short swing gives none of the "advantages" as a longer one but has all of the consequences.

I still always go back to the simple question, although it's growing more and more outdated so I need to update my names. If your kid was going face Crystal Bustos at the plate, would you want her to know what pitch is coming? Adjust that name with Lauren Chamberlin, Jess Mendoza or anyone your kid thinks is the best women's fastpitch hitter.
Being efficient is what makes sense, too many moving parts adds more chances for error. Tinkering around with the motion and seeing what works. @Hillhouse if its on YouTube, my DD has watched all of your videos, the guy in the woods, @javasource, the guy with the whistle @Rick Pauly and Amanda's videos because my DD will be vertically challenged... lol.. If spin and location is the same, the simpler movement would seem correct.

Feb 25, 2020
There is a drill in the drive mechanics sticky that uses a short backswing (amongst other things). It looks like it worked for some girls and they just decided to keep the short backswing.

I'd wager that some other PC's/players have figured out it can work better sometimes also?

It's the STFG drill posted by Javasource post 330.

Aug 21, 2008
Being efficient is what makes sense, too many moving parts adds more chances for error. Tinkering around with the motion and seeing what works. @Hillhouse if its on YouTube, my DD has watched all of your videos, the guy in the woods, @javasource, the guy with the whistle @Rick Pauly and Amanda's videos because my DD will be vertically challenged... lol.. If spin and location is the same, the simpler movement would seem correct.

Seth, I still don't understand the rational. As I said, I don't agree with it (for the long term) but I also understand why people do it. Heck, I did it as a kid too... until I learned of the consequences. And those consequences are creeping into the women's game rapidly now with better hitting instruction and more male fastpitch influence on the women's game. But anyway, I can at least understand WHY someone would do a back swing, just not a short backswing.

That said, and I rarely comment on videos posted, but your daughter looks pretty good! Good body awareness (rare in younger ages) and you can see athleticism. Both of those things cannot be taught. And don't fret about the size, Mike White is under 6'0. Ty Stofflet was well under 6', probably 5'6 ish. BOTH of them are on the Mt. Rushmore of pitching. Size helps but, it's not the determining factor in someone's abilities.

Keep working hard, I will enjoy watching her progress if you keep posting videos.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00