A year into the journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2020
Have her put her hand at 11 o’clock with out a ball and just let her arm fall. It will IR and her hand will pronate. Keep smiling! Good energy maybe the most important factor in the journey
I have been down this road before. Its called a game for a reason and if this was easy, everyone would be a pitcher (it may cause me to drink a little more...lol)

Jan 14, 2020
I'm not sure what my input is worth, but here it is:

My guess is the elbow straightens when adding the legs because she starts trying to throw hard. When you are just working on upper body, she doesn't feel the need to throw hard so she is loose. Once she goes full pitch she dials it up and that causes her to tighten up.

Overall she looks very athletic and fast so you're starting from a good place.

This is spot on, we warm up by playing catch and she is spinning it to win it. Sprinkle that full motion in and everything goes out the window. When we are playing catch she sees the pop/spin in her arm just w/ solid IR and BI, just translating it to the full motion will obviously a trip. With her current motion she has great spin, can't wait to see what comes with the winter process.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The science of coaching is knowing how things work mechanically. The art of coaching is knowing how to communicate that understanding using verbal cues. Internal cues, which direct attention to the body, are necessary at the start, but external cues, which direct attention to something in the outside environment, often work better. An internal cue would be 'keep the arm bent'. In the video you are using external cues, 'smaller ball circle', which directs attention to the ball, will necessitate keeping the arm bent, and 'limp' (I use 'spaghetti arm'). Her arm action looks really good. I would use those cues with her full motion and see if it transfers.

Jan 14, 2020
The science of coaching is knowing how things work mechanically. The art of coaching is knowing how to communicate that understanding using verbal cues. Internal cues, which direct attention to the body, are necessary at the start, but external cues, which direct attention to something in the outside environment, often work better. An internal cue would be 'keep the arm bent'. In the video you are using external cues, 'smaller ball circle', which directs attention to the ball, will necessitate keeping the arm bent, and 'limp' (I use 'spaghetti arm'). Her arm action looks really good. I would use those cues with her full motion and see if it transfers.
We talk about the noodle. She came across a @Hillhouse lesson and asked me who he was, because he makes it sound cool and his cues (brush the ear and brush the belly) really helped, a Doug Gillis video from a camp and some other video that talked about small circles. She put in "10" almost every night working on what was in the video. My happiest moments is when she does something wrong and looks at me telling me what she didn't do. this next week we will be putting it all together.

Jan 14, 2020

I showed her the comments and she said better get ArmWhip this... lol... she agrees that she like the sketti noodle better than what I tell her. She is understanding what body and arm is doing and has watched alot of Garcia throw. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee