A Teams only Doing a few Fall tourneys

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
DD had usually done a few local tournaments in the fall with teams we were looking at for next year. She just turned 15 a few months ago and was extended two "evalutations" by an 18u showcase team. She is a pretty good pitcher with an awesome bat and ended up making the team. We have had a few practices....2.5 hours away and are getting ready to start the first tourney with the team. How is the showcase stuff different from the regular tournaments?

Time is at a premium but it is worth it to get dd mixing with others who take the game as serious as she does. Her first comment after the first practice was it was nice to see no goofing off during practice. The coach speaks of what this will be like but at this point there are still a lot of unknowns. He says winning is nice but if a coach comes and asks to see the third base player at second he will call time out and move her right then.

Showcases are to "show off" in front of college coaches the players have interest in attending after HS. They are not as much about winning as demonstrateing the abilities of the players, so if a coach requests to see a player at a different position, or hit again, or steal 2nd 2 or 3 times in a row, that's fine. Usually a showcase team will have a nice website with player profiles and stats, as well as literature to pass out at any tournament they attend that may also be attended by college coaches/scouts.

The team's main focus is having the girls seen, so you need to keep college coaches informed on what tournaments you will be attending. Contacting coaches by sending letters/emails/videos and links to the team's website are what makes playing on a showcase team benificial. The coach may also have a relationship with several different college coaches that have recruited players from his/her team in the past, and can get them to come to showcases their team will be attending.

Playing on a showcase team can be very benificial, but it can also be very expensive. Most travel nationally rather than just regionally, so make sure they are worth it. Find out how many players they have had recruited, and by what colleges, as well as how much it will cost to be on the team. If it costs $12000 in team dues and travel expenses to get a $3000 a year "scholarship", it may not be worth it. I've seen it happen. But I've also seen some get scholarships to Alabama, Florida, Tenn., Georgia, and others.

Be carefull, and good luck!

Oct 25, 2009
I usually watch HS and college games but this weekend I went to a TB tournament. The first game the score was 5-4 with the losing team making a comeback. Batter in the box has one strike when suddenly the umpire yells "ball game". Time has expired.

The second game the score was 3-2, batter gets a single. Next batter steps in the box, the opposing coach asks for time (which stops the game, not the clock) with less than 45 seconds left. She stands in the circle talking to her pitcher until time expires.

The third game was pretty lopsided anyway, but with time running out a batter gets a hit and the umpire yells "ball game" before she even gets to first.

Later, as I'm driving the hour-long trip home, I'm thinking that's pretty stupid. But then it dawned on me, I paid $6 to get in. So I guess that makes me the stupid one.

For a fraction of the cost of entering a tournament like that teams could arrange full regulation games amongst themselves. And use the money they save to attend clinics, or buy equipment or rent winter facilities.

And at least save some of the sport's integrity.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I usually watch HS and college games but this weekend I went to a TB tournament. The first game the score was 5-4 with the losing team making a comeback. Batter in the box has one strike when suddenly the umpire yells "ball game". Time has expired.

The second game the score was 3-2, batter gets a single. Next batter steps in the box, the opposing coach asks for time (which stops the game, not the clock) with less than 45 seconds left. She stands in the circle talking to her pitcher until time expires.

The third game was pretty lopsided anyway, but with time running out a batter gets a hit and the umpire yells "ball game" before she even gets to first.

Later, as I'm driving the hour-long trip home, I'm thinking that's pretty stupid. But then it dawned on me, I paid $6 to get in. So I guess that makes me the stupid one.

For a fraction of the cost of entering a tournament like that teams could arrange full regulation games amongst themselves. And use the money they save to attend clinics, or buy equipment or rent winter facilities.

And at least save some of the sport's integrity.

WTF are you talking about? It is fall ball. There are no real rosters, but the cost of the fields, umpires and insurance, and lights if used, are 100% real.

Oct 25, 2009
WTF are you talking about? It is fall ball. There are no real rosters, but the cost of the fields, umpires and insurance, and lights if used, are 100% real.

Like I said, games could be played at a fraction of the expense. Find a field, invite a few teams. Who needs lights in the day time? I'm sure there are umpires needing the same "fall ball" games.

Fall ball doesn't have to be ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Fall games are going to start losing what they were intended for since a lot of the sanctioning bodies are starting/are to hand out berths.

At 10U-14U, we use it work in new players, seeing what needs to be worked on in the winter when moving up and to get some sort of idea in what classification you should be playing.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Like I said, games could be played at a fraction of the expense. Find a field, invite a few teams. Who needs lights in the day time? I'm sure there are umpires needing the same "fall ball" games.

No, umpires who work out-of-season fall ball have just finished 6-7 months of doing ball. Most I know are exactly in it for the money. Also, even if they are not, uniforms, equipment and other expenses still exist. Also, most complexes just don't swing open their gates and provide maintenance just for the fun of it.

If you can pull it off cheap, more power to you, but don't assume that because you think it should be that way that everyone else who doesn't fall in line is in it for the money.

Fall ball doesn't have to be ALL ABOUT THE MONEY![/QUOTE]

Oct 25, 2009
No, umpires who work out-of-season fall ball have just finished 6-7 months of doing ball. Most I know are exactly in it for the money. Also, even if they are not, uniforms, equipment and other expenses still exist. Also, most complexes just don't swing open their gates and provide maintenance just for the fun of it.

If you can pull it off cheap, more power to you, but don't assume that because you think it should be that way that everyone else who doesn't fall in line is in it for the money.

Fall ball doesn't have to be ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Most areas have enough fields that aren't being used to accommodate a few friendlies. Umpires are plentiful and probably wouldn't mind an extra gig or so.

If you had only 3 teams, even, you should be able to play a day or two on the weekend for far less than a $1,000. It would cost at least that much for most tournaments and that's not even including gate fees and concessions. AND, it could be regulation games.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Most areas have enough fields that aren't being used to accommodate a few friendlies. Umpires are plentiful and probably wouldn't mind an extra gig or so.

If you had only 3 teams, even, you should be able to play a day or two on the weekend for far less than a $1,000. It would cost at least that much for most tournaments and that's not even including gate fees and concessions. AND, it could be regulation games.

What part don't you get about costs not being different in the fall?

In my area, fields are own by the county and there is a charge for using the field no matter what time of year. I would assume most areas with similar situations would be the same.

Umpires are going to want at least the same in the fall as in the spring and summer.

Concessions are often subcontracted to a third party which are there for one reason, make a profit. It is a business. And a 7-inning game is not a problem, but if you want the same amount of teams, you are going to need lights and that isn't free.

Want to not have a time limit affect your game, knock off the between inning and after every defensive out rah-rah. It is a waste of time and money, just like this thread.

Fall ball should be about playing the game and giving coaches the opportunity to evaluate and instruct, not end-of-the-world competition or trophies.

Three teams take a day at most in fall ball. Any additional play is a waste of time and money.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ

I don't think anyone is saying the costs are different. What is being said is you can have 4 teams come and play on two fields, 3 games each for cheaper than it would cost for you to enter a tourney.

I don't know what part of the country you reside MTR but most of the teams in NJ have fields that they either have year long permits to or they play out of a complex. No extra fees to use the fields. The snack shack is money that goes to the home teams and fields. Umps cost the same spring, summer or fall. However, during fall friendlies it's not uncommon to see only one ump. There are no trophies, no MVP, just 3 games and they are over in about 6 hours. Parents take care of the fields, raking, dragging mats, filling in holes and relining the RT and LT field lines and batters box.

So 4 teams play 12 games costing approx $600. We play several of these and host one or two. The snack shack will take in about 3-400 and everyone has a good time.

Why do you care if people have friendly tournaments instead of spending the extra money for Elimination days and plastic shelf candy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009

In my area, fields are own by the county and there is a charge for using the field no matter what time of year. I would assume most areas with similar situations would be the same.

Umpires are going to want at least the same in the fall as in the spring and summer.

Concessions are often subcontracted to a third party which are there for one reason, make a profit. It is a business. And a 7-inning game is not a problem, but if you want the same amount of teams, you are going to need lights and that isn't free.

Want to not have a time limit affect your game, knock off the between inning and after every defensive out rah-rah. It is a waste of time and money, just like this thread.

Fall ball should be about playing the game and giving coaches the opportunity to evaluate and instruct, not end-of-the-world competition or trophies.

Three teams take a day at most in fall ball. Any additional play is a waste of time and money.

I'm talking about a few friendly games. I'm talking about not paying high entry fees. I'm talking about eliminating the middle man. I'm talking about being able to bring your own refreshments. I'm talking about day games. I'm not talking about trophies. The teams can agree that it's competitive or they can agree that it's instructional or whatever. My point is that teams don't need to waste a lot of money or time.

Geez!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom