A scary reminder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD called the other night telling me about the opposing pitcher in a slow pitch co-ed game. The pitcher is in her mid-40s. Male batter hit a line drive back into her face. Major damage to eye socket, forehead bones, and nose.

Teams in her league are getting a petition to require face masks. I told my DD that while they were discussing the face masks they need to be discussing the unwritten rule of not hitting line drives back at the pitcher.

Mar 31, 2012
13 years ago I had to carry a 12U boy 200 yards to the field entrance after he got drilled in the face with a pitch. He was a mess That's the day the league started enforcing face masks for helmets. There was a lot of push back on that.

I have a 12U Rec team in an inter-town league now that sees some travel teams. Every kid wants to pitch and probably will get to at some point. I've made up my mind after reading this thread that they're going to have to wear a mask. Either one I give them or they can wear their face mask-equiped batting helmet.

They can't throw a strike for love nor money anyway so how much worse can wearing a batting helmet make it?

Nov 29, 2009
IMO there are 2 adults to blame for this, the parent and the coach. If it's not the parent's policy it should be the coaches. Any excuse or reason for why you would risk this kind of catastrophic injury is reckless, self-centered and just plain stupid.

I agree with you 100% about kids wearing masks. Especially, when they pitch or play the corners. But you are wrong with the number of people to blame. That responsibility falls completely on the parents unless the coach forbids the team from wearing masks.

I don't require my players to wear a mask. I do require at least a mouth guard. I STRONGLY suggest masks for the pitchers and corners. Any other player is encouraged to wear a mask if they desire. In all the years I've only had one parent allow their daughter not to wear a mask in the circle.

If you mandate an equipment rule without it being part of the sanctioning body playing rules you can open yourself up to unnecessary risks in the event of a freak occurrence. Better to make it optional and put the entire mask/safety issue squarely on the parents. Put it in your team rules/guidelines that you give the parents. I may be wrong from a liability standpoint, but I want to make sure the final decision rests with the parents.

Nov 1, 2009
My daughter has two of the rip it masks. One for each color of uniform so it is matching. I found that buying two masks was much cheaper than fixing teeth. I have already invested over 7k in her mouth and that would only be the tip of the spear if she were hit by a line drive.

We have required face protection for the past three years on our club team if you play the infield. Two motivations on my part, one is they protection of the girls face and the second is the protection of the team. We hit the ball hard enough as a team that we have a few balls a weekend fly off a defensive player on the other team, and we are no better than the teams we play.

Be safe, and remember the first rule of womens fastpitch, protect the beauty.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Of course I am not at a high level of coaching but we require all of our girls, even outfield to wear a mask. We put it in the rules when the girls signed their contracts for the team at beginning of year before the first practice. No complaints so far.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Today U12 DD tournament team had their first scrimmage. playing in a light rain (cold as heck!) pop-up to her at SS, she's under it, easy out except I hear this thud as the ball hits her on the head above the mask! I thought it skipped off her glove and hit her, wife thought she missed it. She had a concussion earlier in the year so we were concerned. I'm a big believer in fielding masks for pitchers but even with a mask accidents can still happen.

I hate playing in the rain anyway. no one is playing at their optimum and injuries are more likely

Jul 26, 2010
This weekend (yesterday), during my DD's 14u A tournament, the opposing teams batter hit a high popup down the first base line. Our pitcher made a move to catch the ball, but backed off from colliding with the base runner. The ball came down right on top of the baserunner's head. She was called out and took 3 steps towards home before falling over. She was vomiting and had a clear concussion. EMT were called (to the opposing team coaches dismay, as he "had a tournament to do"). Hopefully the young lady is okay but I wouldn't rule out a fracture or neck injury. It was their #1 pitcher as well. Freak accident, and I'm glad we have helmet rules, but they are designed for side impacts, not direct impacts from the top.

Now we can either encase the kids in bubble wrap, or understand that it's a dangerous sport and kids are going to get hurt, lets be smart, but not be silly.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse