A new spin tool I created

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2015
I have been a loyal reader here for many years, since before OILF and Hal were banned, and jjsqueeze just went up and disappeared.

I have learned a lot from all you guys over the years, and used most of it to make things and experiment on my pitching daughter.

It took me a few years, but I now have a provisional patent, and a first run on a pitching aid, that some of you might find helpful.

I call it the spinform trainer and it is a spinner tool with the weight, feel, look and laces of a real ball, but flattened on the circumference to make it easy to see the spin. I used to make these one by one at home, but found someone who helped make them for me as a nice polished tool.

I have found that it really helps the pitcher be able to see and practice spin for themselves, and make self-corrections to achieve the desired result. No arguing of what the ball really did.

You can use it from all distances, with all real grips, making a seamless transition back to real ball.

I don’t know if it is against the rules posting here, if so, I’m sorry, I am just a one man band trying to get the word out.

If you want to check it out:

https://spinformsoftball.com/

1571691356643.jpeg

Nov 8, 2018
If it’s main purpose is to see spin wouldn’t black tape and dots work the same. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since you asked for comments:

I like the idea. I'm not sure it makes sense for advanced pitchers.

The ball is attempting to force pitchers to do the whole "four seams in the direction of movement". The whole "four seams" thing is pretty much a myth. (The two seam fastball moves different due to differences in release mechanics, not because there are two seams vs. four seams.)

It stops pitchers from playing around with different grip configurations.

My DD would not have been able to use your device, because of her grip. She ran her middle finger down a seam because it gave her a better grip.

Attachments

• finger-seam.JPG
    finger-seam.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 75
  • grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 75
Oct 1, 2015
Yes, it works better for beginning to intermediate pitchers, because it lets the student see the spin for themselves in a much quicker way than a full ball with a stripe or dot on it. It can also help more advanced pitchers warm-up or fine tune release, if, as you said, their grip allows.

It does the same with overhand and sidearm throwing, letting the player see the spin vs. an adult just commenting on it.

Sluggers - While it's very true that you can make a ball move by manipulating the bald spot, I wouldn't say the "four seams" thing is a myth, even though there might be different ways to throw a rise, if you are throwing a back-spinning rise, you want it back spinning, if you are throwing a 3-9 curve, you want to know that it is a flat 3-9, etc.

It won't work for every pitch, but it goes a long way in education, helping the pitcher see and understand the goal, which I find is very overlooked in youth pitching.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2011
To me this appears to be a significantly better version of the "hockey puck spinner" which in my opinion has much more pronounced feedback than a line ball. I would think this would be helpful for overhand throwing as well. Looks like you can throw it full speed ...

Oct 1, 2015
My goal was to increase the benefits of those “hockey puck spinners” while removing the many limitations.

Also, to add some fun, focus, and variety to practice and drills.

Please share your thoughts after you have had a chance to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13