A new experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
It all comes down to what her goals are, if they are to get recruited by a college team, win trophies or be a starter on local HS team. Does she want to create more opportunities for herself. If she wants to play college ball then she needs to put forth the time and effort or she needs to make changes now! A big factor as far as the recruiting process it is all about being seen and performing.

When it comes time to get recruited, it is very competitive. You are competing against kids local and or even nationally, only 10% of players who play high school ball move on to play college ball. What separates a kid from everyone else? What inspires a player to work hard enough to receive offers from colleges? It maybe about getting more playing time or moving up in the lineup on the team.

Feb 16, 2012
Great thoughts everyone. I am hoping that the schedule changes some before then. I am not opposed to traveling but the $$$ burden is heavy. She has stated several times her goal is for every girl to be in the position to play varsity when they get to HS. No one on the team plays HS ball yet. She also wants them to be in the best possible position when they move to 16U and it really starts to matter. I think her motives are purely on the players and their development and she doesn't come across as a trophy hunter.

I have never heard of anyone around here going to PGF and have never looked at them. Something else for me to research.

Dec 26, 2008
PGF ... a whole different topic.

And corporate America makes its appearance.

Look at the PGF fees, appearance rules, schedules, and teams. Granted this year, PGF has become top dog. All the great top travel teams are on board. Great, great tournament.

ASA is trying to battle back and a great place for the more modest top travel team to make its mark.

I am so glad my DD has a only a couple more years of this travel softball gig. Who knows where it is headed, but corporate america is getting its taste with the PGF ... and the end result will be the organizations with the most money and power, will get a seat at the table.

I remind you folks, the vast majority of money comes from one place ... the parents pocket.

Glad we played when we did.

PGF has been making a push in Ohio, KY, and IND. the past two years. They do struggle getting umpires so, they are duel sanctioning USSSA, NSA or ASA events to attach the PGF name.
Ohio did have a PGF only event in Columbus Ohio in June this year but that did not draw any more college coaches than previous ASA or NSA events and several teams were not happy for a variety of reasons. I have noticed (some of the PGF events) the past two years are B level or Recreational level events I guess just looking to get the PGF name in the market but not coming close to the business model set for PGF.
PGF even tried to sanction an Adult and HS OPEN event in Maysville Ky in 2012.

I agree in AZ./ CA. PGF is king and their nationals bring in the top college coaches but; after talking to other TB and college coaches at events around the Mid West and South East, ASA/USA is where the majority of the travel teams shoot to play their nationals.
I agree with SCdad, PGF is aligned very close with for profit organizations that promote Fastpitch as a product selling services, training, equipment and playing time. A lot of the big Fastpitch organizations in CA. AZ. Only play PGF events. Player fees range from 2K -4K. On top of the team fee (that can be paid monthly) most teams require the ladies to see private instructors and recruiting services aligned with the organization.
In the end it is a lot of money…. I seen a post on Haybucket where the income from some of these teams is close to 50k per year!!!!
PGF nationals “are a big deal” if you can swing the trip to CA. otherwise, for "the majority" of the players and teams playing a solid ASA or ASA Gold schedule while attending camps/combines will net the same results and a better ROI because you will still need to travel.

Know where you want to go. Do not dream about it plan for it. Set goals and Make It Happen!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Teams with the goal of qualifying for ASA nationals will map out all of the ASA qualifiers in their state, region and national qualifiers within reasonable travel distance. There may be some overlap, so the coaches have to decide which tournament they think gives them the best chance to qualify. The coaching staff will plan to attend every qualifier they can until the team receives a berth. Once a berth to nationals is earned, all future qualifies are no longer necessary and the coaches will have to find alternative tournaments, usually playing up an age level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413