A guide to guest playing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
We too, have had very good experiences guest playing for teams. DD was asked last year to join a 14U team to attend the U trip World Series. She was just finished her 12U season with her team. The coaches, players and families made us both feel welcomed and they treated my DD with respect and she played a lot. She's a pitcher and pitched well for them. I think a big part of her performance had to do with how they treated her.
She also guest played for a 16U team at age 12. She's was a good pitcher then but not the level where she could compete with 16's. I told the coach that but he needed help and she wanted to play. She pitched 2 games for them... First one she did well and they won. They started her on Sunday (why I don't know) and she got barreled up good. After the game the coach could not have been more complimentary towards her.
All good stuff and I am happy with how she has been treated. That said we have turned down a few opportunities with coaches that have poor reputations.

Jun 19, 2013
That is the next point:Versatile player
If your daughter only plays one position, tell them she plays it all. In fact, she is so good, she can pitch to herself and throw the runner out at 2nd. Because if she isn't versatile, she will be riding the bench since the team has 17 other players with 9 of them being guest players.If you want to be a little more honest, ask the coaches about their daughters. Then you can narrow down the positions your dd plays.

Is this what you were talking about Crystal? This is an actual post on our local page from yesterday. I have deleted the team name to help with anonymity -

"Anyone in need of a pickup player this weekend? My daughter is an 04 player but can also easily play up. She catches and plays SS for _________ [side note never heard of them] but can play any position (outside of pitching). Hits in the lead off spot for power from the right and can also slap and bunt left."

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Is this what you were talking about Crystal? This is an actual post on our local page from yesterday. I have deleted the team name to help with anonymity -

"Anyone in need of a pickup player this weekend? My daughter is an 04 player but can also easily play up. She catches and plays SS for _________ [side note never heard of them] but can play any position (outside of pitching). Hits in the lead off spot for power from the right and can also slap and bunt left."

Yep...exactly.

Here is one from our local boards..."14u looking to join a team or guest play. She can play pitcher , infield and catches".
Only place she cannot play is outfield?

May 25, 2021
My daughter loved guest playing.She got lots more time on the field and had a blast.She also loved playing different teams.She really got to figure her strengths and weaknesses. And she got to be with a different environment of girls

Apr 26, 2019
We too, have had very good experiences guest playing for teams. DD was asked last year to join a 14U team to attend the U trip World Series. She was just finished her 12U season with her team. The coaches, players and families made us both feel welcomed and they treated my DD with respect and she played a lot. She's a pitcher and pitched well for them. I think a big part of her performance had to do with how they treated her.
She also guest played for a 16U team at age 12. She's was a good pitcher then but not the level where she could compete with 16's. I told the coach that but he needed help and she wanted to play. She pitched 2 games for them... First one she did well and they won. They started her on Sunday (why I don't know) and she got barreled up good. After the game the coach could not have been more complimentary towards her.
All good stuff and I am happy with how she has been treated. That said we have turned down a few opportunities with coaches that have poor reputations.

I think the experience you have shared sounds great and as it should be if you ask someone to guest play. This is excellent!

My experience is with a different sport and basically the opposite experience. My daughter's team has been invited to play in the Super Copa aoccer tournament in Dallas in a couple of weeks.

We have asked a few girls to come along as guest players. One of these girls is from a team we faced in a tournament about 2 months ago. When I say this little girl is ridiculously good it is no exaggeration. Our team's coach (professional coach not a daddy coach) said she is the best U9 player, boy or girl, he's ever seen.

Fast forward to this last weekend. She guest played in a tournament with us. The girl couldn't have been nicer or more humble and was happy to start the game on the bench and took her turn in goal. Her dad is a good guy. We won the tournament, won every game, scored 23 goals to our oppositions' 2. Everyone is happy right?

No. One of the mom's who is a kind of a Queen Bee type begins texting all the other mom's saying this little girl is a cancer and is selfish and never passes the ball and is crap talking everyone on the team behind their backs. You'll never guess what position QB's daughter plays. Oh yeah, the same one as the little girl that guest played for us and it was obvious the guest player is a much better player.

I'm hoping QB doesn't ruin what should be a fun experience for the team and our guest player(s) when they go to Texas because she is jealous her daughter doesn't get to be the "star of the show."

May 6, 2015
Speaking of guest playing...DD got asked to play for a team so she took work off to help them. They texted late the night before saying that they didn't need her because their players were able to make it. At that point she wasn't able to get her hours back. She wasn't too happy about that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

she should ask them to pay her for the lost hours!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00