9 yo any suggestions/drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
This is my 9 yo DD. We are working on her load/explode sequence. I did notice some bat drag though. Any other comments/suggestions on what she needs to work on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 15, 2011
Clone.I know there are a lot of great hitting knowledge reading these post.(amy- straight leg).any suggestions would be appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I was reluctant to suggest anything, because she looks so good for 9 YO. I would work on rotating the hips. Do the drill where the hips rotate, but she holds up on her bat and doesn't swing. She wants to think "Hips, then hands."

But, other than just encouraging the basics, I wouldn't let just any coach give her much advice.

And if you aren't using a pitching screen, get one. :)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I would agree with Amy. She looks good for a 9 year old. Big too :)
Hips before hands is good advice.

Same sequence she is doing with some reverse hand drills like Casey my Dd. It keeps the hands tight.

Maybe alittle tilt from the waist up and maintain that through out the swing. I tell the girls to stick there butt out, maintain that through out the swing.

SL

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the input. I know what you mean about tilting, we have been working some on that since she used to lunge some. Amy- good suggestion about the screen. 2 weeks ago she hit one back at me in a very sensitive spot. I was almost tearing up:) Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The obvious thing I see that hasn't been said is she spins on her back foot (bug squishing) her heal and her energy is moving away from the ball. That is why I put the yeager lesson in there. IMO her hand path is good and if you tilt while bug squishing that is just more energy moving away from the ball. [video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwGovP1X5Mk[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd