8u to 10u When to Move up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2015
My DD has been playing Travel Ball 8u Coach pitch since last spring. She has played 8u Coach pitch in Dixie for the last 2 years, meaning this year will be her third year. So she is an 07 that played with 05s, now playing with 06s. I am the coach of her 06 Travel ball team. She is by no means the star of the team but, holds her own with girls a year older than her. She has been taking pitching lessons for the last couple months and shows a real interest in it.

My question is, should I move her up this fall and play 3 years of 10u or Stay down for a 3rd year of 8u ball. I know that 10u is the hardest transition for the girls. From talking to other Coaches that are in 10u or above I have gotten a mixed review of whether or not we should move up or stay down for another year.

One other note, my 06 team has a good core group of players if we move up but, if we stay down I only have one other 07 on the team. All the girls on the 06 team are her friends and they all get along great as a team and I have a good group of parents. However, at some point I have to get her with 07's I would have to believe.

Just curious of some peoples opinions that have been around for a long time.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think a lot depends of the skill and motivation of the girl which age group most of her friends are likely to be playing at that age.
It is sometimes obvious when you have a standout who should clearly move up or a less skilled player who should clearly stay down but it sounds like your daughter is somewhere in between.

If that is the case, sometimes it is better to stay down and be the big fish in a small pond. On the other hand if the quality of play is so much inferior that she's not getting anything out of it, time to move up.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If the player will be moving up an age group on Jan 1, I think there is value in playing Fall at the next age group. I think this is especially true if there are significant rule changes involved in the transition.

As for playing up a full year, it depends on the player. If the player is clearly dominant in comparison to those of her age, and would be one of the better players compared with those a (birth year) year older, moving up is a worthwhile consideration. If she will be in the lower half with the older girls, I would recommend leaving her with her correct age group.

That said, the parent factor carries a lot of weight (IMO). A good group of parents, who get along, with minimal drama, is a valuable thing.

Also...Welcome to DFP! :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you are good with her playing 10U in the Fall I would do it. Nothing says she cannot play 8U again in the Spring if it does not work out.

Jan 21, 2015
Fielding I would say she is top 4 on the team, Batting I would say top 5 to 6 and with Coach Pitch 8u its all about crushing the ball right? She has all the right fundamentals I think she lacks the strength that the girls a year older have on her. As the coach you are always harder and expect more out of your daughter, I am not one that thinks my daughter is the best on the team and best out there, I know her place. I think if I moved her up to 10u with the rest of the 06s she would hold her own but, at some point I have to keep her down I would think....Do I let her be the Dominate player for a year in another year of coach pitch or let her hopefully be the dominate player in 3 years of 10u. If I stay down I would be starting over with practically a whole new team of 07s because I only have my DD and one other 07 on this 06 team. I am being courted by two other organizations to bring the two 07s over to an established 07 team to take over this fall.

Part of me tells me to wait through this spring to see how much more she progresses and other part of me tells me to leave the decision up to her..

Jan 21, 2015
If you are good with her playing 10U in the Fall I would do it. Nothing says she cannot play 8U again in the Spring if it does not work out.

I agree with you, only issue is I am the head coach of the 06 team she is on now, if she can't cut it, Its not like I could just up and quit the 10u team... Thats part of my dilemma as far as chosing....

I appreciate everyones insights.. I guess there is no right or wrong answer, just do I want to leave the 06 team I have established now so my DD can stay down.

Feb 7, 2013
My recommendation would be to get her out of coach pitch as fast as you can. 2 years of that is plenty. If she has been taking pitching lessons, she should be rewarded with actually pitching in some real games to keep her motivated to continue to practice pitching.

I normally don't recommend moving up except under two very distinct conditions: You have a pitcher who is still in coach pitch (move up now!) or you are a second-year 14U who is in high school and you're good enough to make a respectable 16U Gold team.

That's it.

For very young pitchers, getting out there and walking girls is good for their development. It makes them stop walking girls sooner when they see all the girls they put on base scoring runs against their team. ;-) And hopefully, her coach will yank her out a few times for walking too many girls. That helps a lot, too.

For the second-year 14U in high school, her 14U team is probably shut down, anyway. May as well start the exposure a year early if you're good enough. Plus, she's already in high school and there is no real reason for protecting her from high school girls in her dugout anymore.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Sounds like she's ready to me but much of it depends on if she has an early or late birthday. When going up, would she have some of her teammates in her same grade level? Is she a first grader this year? Something to look forward to is having another decision again about moving her up to 12U in what would be her 3rd year 10U if she does go up.

Jan 26, 2015
I was in your position a few years ago at this time with my daughter who is now a 3rd year 10 u. At the time she had played two years of coach pitch (6&7) We decided to move her up to 10u at 8 because the coach pitch wasnt a challenge and she was an above average fielder. It wasnt much of a challenge to her any longer. Keeping here there to long she may get bored this year. Theres more to the decision at that age than just skill. Its about having fun with teammates shes been with for two years and good parents. Friends she really likes are moving up and she wont be with them anymore. We rode that until this year when I pulled the trigger and kept her back for her 3rd year of 10 u. Nows her year to shine and she really enjoys the spotlight of being the star and helping the younger girls. Her confidence is much higher and theirs a swagger to her at the plate. I dont think this would of had such a dramatic impact had i kept her down at 8 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd