8U circle protection?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
My 8U DD plays the circle in coach pitch travel ball. This past weekend we played a hard hitting team that hit a lot of up the middle hits. She knocked down a hard line shot back at her I think mostly in self defense. Just wondering what is the best chest protectors out there? I've read some on evoshields. Have also seen a girls that had what looked like a removable chest plate that wore like a bullet proof vest. I appreciate any suggestions.

Chad

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
The Rip-It masks seem to be the most popular. Boomba has a similar mask that comes in custom colors but I haven't heard much about it's durability. The Evo Shield products are awsome and well but together but at 8U I don't really think they need a bullet proof type vest. For that kind of body protection thier gloves is best.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Dukhunt, I haven't seen 8U coach pitch TB. If there are shots like that going up the middle, I would want my DD playing in the OF. Most of the 8yo that I work with can't catch the ball, even when thrown - let alone if it is a line drive.

Evo Shield is good and you can look to see what is available for football. Some of those shirts look good.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We teach pitchers if they want to survive in the circle not to leave it fat. Then at the youngest age possible we put them in the circle while someone else intentionally throws it fat???

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My 8U DD plays the circle in coach pitch travel ball. This past weekend we played a hard hitting team that hit a lot of up the middle hits. She knocked down a hard line shot back at her I think mostly in self defense. Just wondering what is the best chest protectors out there? I've read some on evoshields. Have also seen a girls that had what looked like a removable chest plate that wore like a bullet proof vest. I appreciate any suggestions.

First, when you have the 'big' 8U girls hitting off coach pitch you position your 'pitcher' back in the circle to give her some room. This should put her close to 38' away which is significantly deeper than real pitchers play after they stride out to pitch. It also helps that she will be able to take a infielders softball ready position so she doesn't have to recover like a pitcher has to. We played against some big hitting 8U teams back when my DD was that age (including teams that won the USSSA World Series for 8U which yes, is a thing) and I never felt that she needed more protection that she went out there with.

Absolutely need the fielding mask (Schutt/Rip-It are still the gold standard). The evoshield shirts are very good but are probably overkill if the player has decent fielding skills - but if it makes you feel comfortable then put it on her. In the end that is the person who has to be most comfortable with your DD's safety - who cares what anyone else says. EVOshield is top quality safety gear so why not go with the brand that has built their reputation on that.

Oct 21, 2012
First, when you have the 'big' 8U girls hitting off coach pitch you position your 'pitcher' back in the circle to give her some room. This should put her close to 38' away which is significantly deeper than real pitchers play after they stride out to pitch. It also helps that she will be able to take a infielders softball ready position so she doesn't have to recover like a pitcher has to. We played against some big hitting 8U teams back when my DD was that age (including teams that won the USSSA World Series for 8U which yes, is a thing) and I never felt that she needed more protection that she went out there with.

Absolutely need the fielding mask (Schutt/Rip-It are still the gold standard). The evoshield shirts are very good but are probably overkill if the player has decent fielding skills - but if it makes you feel comfortable then put it on her. In the end that is the person who has to be most comfortable with your DD's safety - who cares what anyone else says. EVOshield is top quality safety gear so why not go with the brand that has built their reputation on that.

We do place her in back of circle, and she where's a rip-it mask. Even a hard ground that takes a big hop kinda scares me. The ball from these 8U girls from these hot bats is really jumping off pretty hot. Doesn't help I took a bad hop in high school baseball that knocked my teeth back. So, I have a little extra concern for her.

Thanks for suggestions
Chad

Jun 24, 2013
We use the EVO shield on our 8UDD. With bats getting hotter I like the extra piece of mind it provides.

First SB in over a year since the wreck. Asked back as an emergency guest player (2 girls dropped out after signing up for the tourney). Maybe........

Mar 24, 2014
My DD uses Evoshield since she was in 12U. Now in 16U and still feels comfortable with it.

When she was in 8U and 10U, she wore a Rawlings Zoombang chest protector. That was very comfortable for her and reason why changed to the EvoShield was unable to find a Rawlings shirt in an adult size.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd